Preseason football position preview: Cornerback

Kaitlin Sells

The George-Anne will be previewing each position group leading up to the start of Georgia Southern football season, Aug. 31. Next in the series of previews is the position of the cornerback.

Departed: Jahee Anderson  

Returning starters: Monquavion Brinson, senior; Kindle Vildor, senior

Other returning players: Deonta Bembry, redshirt-freshman; Justin Birdsong, sophomore; Brandon Cross, redshirt-freshman; Jaden Garrett, redshirt-sophomore; Jessie Liptrot redshirt-senior; Lucas Moore, redshirt-freshman; Jaden Moreland, redshirt-freshman

New players: Isiah Bembry, freshman; Derrick Canteen, freshman; David Spaulding, freshman

Outlook: There’s no lack of experience coming back to the field for the Eagles as there’s nine returning cornerbacks this season. It’s a given that seniors Brinson and Vildor are going to step up as they did last year. The duo both played in and started all 13 games in the 2018 season. Brinson was named to All-Sun Belt Conference Second Team, All-Sun Belt Conference First Team by Southern Pigskin and Pro Football Focus and All-Sun Belt Conference Second Team by Phil Steele. The senior was second on the team with 67 tackles in the 2018 season as well as being second on the team with 10 pass breakups. Brinson also picked up an interception in the 2018 season.

Vildor is another big name known on the defense as he had an explosive junior year. He led the Eagles with four interceptions and totaled 42 tackles on the 2018 season. Vildor was on the field for 831 total plays last season, logging a team-high 11 pass breakups. The senior was named Second-Team All-American and Sun Belt Player of the Year by Pro Football Focus, as well as earning All-Sun Belt Conference First Team by the conference, Southern Pigskin and Pro Football Focus.

Another returner to look at is redshirt-senior Liptrot who also played in all 13 games last season. Liptrot was on the field for 336 plays, totaling 20 tackles. The cornerback also had an interception which he returned 57 yards for a touchdown at ULM in the 2018 season.

Projected two deep: 

Monquavion Brinson (5-foot-11, 190 pounds)

Kindle Vildor (5-foot-11, 190 pounds)

Kaitlin Sells, The George-Anne Managing Sports Editor, gasports@georgiasouthern.edu