Men’s golf set to participate in the 2019 NCAA Stanford Regional

Amanda Arnold

The Georgia Southern golf team will participate in the 2019 NCAA Stanford Regional in hopes of extending their phenomenal season to the NCAA National Championships.

With the first tee off time at 12:55 p.m. on Monday, 18 holes will be played each day of the three day tournament. For the first day, GS is paired with UNCG and Augusta.

Due to an outstanding, record-setting stroke play portion of the Sun Belt Championship, GS received the at-large bid to compete on the par-70 6,727-yard Stanford Golf Course. This will be the program’s 25th postseason appearance.

The starting lineup includes:

Senior Steven Fisk is a two time Sun Belt Golfer of the Year and GS leader of career wins. He will automatically advance to the NCAA National Championships due to his individual medalist honor in a playoff match.

Freshman Ben Carr accumulated the lowest freshman stroke average in program history at the Sun Belt Championship.

Junior Jake Maples took second place at the GS Individual Collegiate earlier this season.

Junior Brett Baron finished 1-0 in Sun Belt Matchplay.

Freshman Colin Bowles transferred from Ohio State midseason and accumulated a 73.77 scoring average.

Freshman Wilson Andress will serve as the ready 6 sub.

GS is joined by Arizona State, Denver, Stanford, LSU, Augusta, NC State, UNCG, North Carolina, Ole Miss, South Florida, Kansas, and Virginia. The low five teams and low individuals, not competing on those teams, will advance to the NCAA National Championships on May 24-29 in Fayeteville, Arkansas. GS is currently ranked no.58 in the nation by Golfstat.

Amanda Arnold, The George-Anne Sports Editor, gasports@georgiasouthern.edu