Armstrong Welcomes the Season With Spring Fling

students at the roulette table ruby casino

By Ruby Rizvi, News Editor

Armstrong’s Campus Union Board ushered in spring time with their line of Spring Fling events. The events were held from April 6 to the 11th.

Spring Fling began with the “Cookout Kickoff” on Monday. The cookout was held at the Compass Point Clubhouse, and had an array of foods to choose from, including hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, and drinks. “I cut class just to go to the cookout,” Jordan Broam, a senior English major said. “It was well worth it. What a great way to start the season.”

The next event in the line-up was Open Mic Night, an event traditionally held on the first Tuesday of every month. Brianna Davis, a freshman Biology major was one of the acts of the night, performing “Before He Cheats” by Carrie Underwood. “My favorite part of the night was seeing everyone go on stage and perform or read poems. There was so much diversity and so much talent,” Davis said.

Black Light Casino Night was held the following day. The Student Union Ballroom was filled with tables of people playing a wide assortment of games, ranging from blackjack and spades, to roulette and slot machines.

“I and many others had lots of fun. I hope they bring this back next year,” Portia Reene, a junior majoring in Business Economics and Health Administration, said. She also commented saying that this was definitely one of the better events that Armstrong has put on.

Kwame Phillips, a coordinator for the Office of Multicultural Affairs also remarked on the success of the night. “As a full time board member, I think it’s important to get a feel for campus life and student events,” he said, “this one had a great turn out.”

Next in the series of events was laser tag. “Hosting events like laser tag on campus gives me, my friends, and many others who can’t always get off campus the opportunity to have some fun,” Kyle Swint, a freshman Professional Communications major said. The game was held in the Alumni Arena, and allowed students to team up and go against others to see which team would leave with the win.

The weekend then kicked off with a roller skating rink set up in the Student Union Ballroom that Friday.

The last events in the line-up of Spring Fling were the Carnival and a prom held by the Gay-Straight Alliance.

The GSA prom is an annual event for all of the students of Armstrong. “The prom is for those students who could not go to their high school proms as themselves,” vice president of GSA Hunter Hart explained. “It allows our members to relive a night true to themselves.”

“It was worth the sweat,” freshman Professional Communications major Elijah Clarke said. “I danced so much and even made some new friends.”

Due to weather forecasts, the carnival was rescheduled to be this upcoming weekend outside of the Student Union.

The Campus Union Boards as well as numerous other campus organization work to engage the student body by hosting events for Spring Fling. “I think they should do events like these more often,” sophomore Pre-Nursing major Hailee Peardon said.