Ethen Bodruk holding his personal favorite duck “Opal”.
Oh Shucky Ducky
May 1, 2024
Community Shred Day
AI Usage in Students

Earth Day

This past Monday, April 22nd, the world showed their appreciation for Earth by celebrating Earth Day. 

Earth Day is more than just a day marked on the calendar, as it represents shared dedication to preserving the environment. 

Earth Day originally began on April 22, 1970 when millions of people across the nation protested against the destruction of the environment and called for reform. 

Over the course of the next few years, Earth Day’s reach and impact grew, transcending national boundaries to become a global phenomenon. 

“I think that it’s very important to conserve things on Earth, just because, not just for us but for future generations to come. So, I would say like recycling, um, plastic cans or reusing reusable straws and reusable cups, recycling paper and things like that,” Nia Tompkins said, a Georgia Southern student. 

Here at Georgia Southern there are recycling bins all over campus that are easily accessible. 

Grey recycling centers are located in every building that have three slots for recycling aluminum cans, mixed paper, and plastic bottles. There is also one slot for trash that goes to a landfill.

Sustain Southern is an organization here at Georgia Southern whose goal is to educate students on sustainability topics. Sustain Southern also controls the campus community garden that sits between the Herty Building and the Williams Center. 

As we observe Earth Day once again, lets reflect on the path that led us to this point and renew our commitment to the continuous task of environmental care. 

Our planet’s destiny and everyone’s access to a sustainable future will be determined by our combined efforts and relentless determination.