Ethen Bodruk holding his personal favorite duck “Opal”.
Oh Shucky Ducky
May 1, 2024
Community Shred Day
AI Usage in Students

Curio Research Symposium

On Wednesday night, the Interdisciplinary Academic Building at Georgia Southern University became a hub of intellectual exchange and discovery as it hosted the annual CURIO Symposium. The event, which highlights the research achievements of undergraduate and graduate students across various disciplines, drew a diverse audience eager to witness the latest innovations emerging from the university’s academic community.

Under the glow of fluorescent lights, the corridors of the Interdisciplinary Academic Building buzzed with excitement as students and faculty members gathered to explore the multitude of research projects on display. From environmental science to business analytics, the symposium showcased the breadth and depth of scholarly inquiry taking place at Georgia Southern.

Poster presentations adorned the walls, each offering a glimpse into a different research endeavor. Topics ranged from the impact of climate change on coastal ecosystems to the development of novel therapies for neurological disorders. Attendees eagerly engaged with presenters, asking probing questions and exchanging insights on the implications of their work.

In addition to poster presentations, the symposium featured oral presentations by select students, providing an opportunity for in-depth exploration of their research findings. Topics covered during these sessions included advances in renewable energy technology, the intersection of artificial intelligence and healthcare, and the role of cultural factors in economic development.

Students like Zoey Pittman got to present her research on Taylor Swift and her different eras. “Basically, my presentation is on Taylor Swift and her re-recorded songs, Taylor’s Version, and I went through all of the original and the re-recorded songs and compared them all to find out exactly how Taylor Swift made it her version.”

Faculty members served as judges for the symposium, evaluating the quality and significance of the research projects on display. Their feedback not only recognized the accomplishments of the students but also provided constructive criticism aimed at further enhancing the impact of their work.

Throughout the evening, the atmosphere was one of collaboration and camaraderie, with students and faculty members alike coming together to celebrate the spirit of inquiry and discovery that defines the academic community at Georgia Southern.

“We made a video about the food and that’s what the QR codes are for, they’re links to those videos. And then the red string traces it from Statesboro where we brought it back to where it was originated,” stated student Abigail Hughes. With the help of Brigham Young University and several students and faculty, she and several other students’ exhibit was a crowd favorite.

As the evening ended, participants left the Interdisciplinary Academic Building with a renewed sense of inspiration and appreciation for the power of research to drive positive change. The CURIO Symposium at Georgia Southern University continues to serve as a beacon of academic excellence and innovation, showcasing the university’s commitment to fostering interdisciplinary collaboration and scholarly inquiry.