Kappa Sigma goes bald for 7th Shave to Save

Sophomore AJ Walker having his head shaved outside the Student Union

By Whitney Ziemak, Staff Writer

AJ Walker, sophomore, having his head shaved during the shave to save event outside of the Student Union Wednesday October 28, 2015 web

The Omicron-Iota chapter of Armstrong’s Kappa Sigma fraternity hosted their seventh annual Shave to Save Event  Wednesday, Oct. 27, in front of the Student Union. Shave to Save raises money for the American Cancer Society’s “Making Strides Against Breast Cancer” and the Breast Cancer Awareness campaign.

Members had their hair shaved into buzz cuts in hopes of helping save lives with their donations to cancer research. Not only are students of this organization coming together and backing a great cause, but members’ bare heads serve as a symbol of support to cancer patients receiving chemotherapy.

Kappa Sigma’s president Miguel Arroyo said, “a member of the organization puts a price tag on his head: [for instance] If everyone gives me a hundred dollars, I will dye my hair pink. When I reach $150, I will shave it off.” The members are typically looking for monetary donations from students and members of the community.

The event was bustling with music, corn hole, a raffle and disc jockey, though the real entertainment was the members sporting pink hair who would later publicly shave their heads for the cause.  Great Clips generously donated their time to support the fraternity members and cause. 2 “buzzers” were operating for the majority length of the event as members and students gathered to watch.

Freshman nursing major Haydn Hefner is currently Kappa Sigma’s highest fundraiser. Hefner explained that the cause is very close to his heart, as his grandmother died of breast cancer. He has raised over $150 and began the event with a full head of pink hair as well as a beard.

“I would tell people about the cause and why I had pink hair… and they would donate,” he said. Hefner was one of the very first to enthusiastically buzz his locks that day.  

Members personally promoted and raised funds on their own to donate to the American Cancer Society for breast cancer research.

Arroyo was pleased with the turnout and the overall amount raised. He looks ahead with optimism, stating, “Hopefully next year we have a lot more guys out here and a lot more people shaving their heads,” he said. Kappa Sigma hoped the combined donations from T-shirt, raffle and ticket sales would total their goal of $2,000.

“As of now, we are well in progress to reach that,” Arroyo added. The members have broken the $1500 mark and are collecting money toward their goal until Nov. 11.