The Laramie Project Live Stream

The Laramie Project Live Stream

Fernanda Camacho Hauser, Correspondent

From April 8 through April 11 the play “The Laramie Project” will be available through the Georgia Southern Theater Live Stream and is not for the faint of heart.

This play re-tells the horrific events that happened in October of 1998 in Laramie, Wyoming where Matthew Shepard, a student at the University of Wyoming, suffered at the hands of others for being part of the LGBTQ+ community. 

This play is constructed through the interviews of 200 individuals who were connected to the case or citizens of Laramie and described as a “[…] breathtaking collage that explores the depths to which humanity can sink and the heights of compassion of which we are capable.”

The Live Stream play is being performed by the Masquers, the Armstrong campus theater troupe, and overseen by professor Pamela Sears, also of Armstrong campus.

In an interview with the Georgia Southern Newsroom Sears said of the play that, “It is horrifying to know that hate crimes like the one committed against Matthew Shepard in 1998 still occur. I hope viewers take comfort in hearing the genuine reflection and changes some of Laramie’s citizens made in the crime’s aftermath.”

In the same news briefing Logan Western,one of the actors taking part in this play, revealed that he would be playing eight different roles throughout the play which posed a rewarding challenge for him.