USG Publishes New Guidelines for Vaccinated Individuals for Fall 2021

The University System of Georgia (USG) recently released new recommendations for university procedures for Fall 2021.

“We strongly encourage faculty, staff, students and visitors to get vaccinated and will continue to do so. While the vaccines are safe and effective, it is an individual decision to receive one and will not be required to be a part of our campuses,” University System of Georgia (USG) said in a live update on May 17, 2021 on their website.

Because COVID-19 vaccination is not mandatory for attendance in fall classes, the USG gave guidance for vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals in their updated COVID-19 guidance in May 2021.

“Fully vaccinated individuals can resume campus classes and other activities without wearing a mask. Unvaccinated individuals are strongly encouraged to continue wearing a face covering while inside campus facilities,” according to the USG guidance.

Alternate work or education arrangements for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 for students or faculty at increased risk of severe disease from COVID-19 will end no later than Jun. 30, 2021. Furthermore, students and faculty who are not fully vaccinated will not be able to use that as a reason why they need further accommodation.

“Institutions are expected to resume traditional student life activities beginning fall 2021,” USG said, regarding co-curricular activities on campus.

Vaccines will continue to be available to students, faculty and staff through the university or a local community provider, but the university is not required to measure the rate of vaccination among the university population.

“Students, faculty, and staff who have been in close contact with someone who has COVID-19 are not required to quarantine if they have been fully vaccinated against the disease and show no symptoms,” according to the USG guidelines.

USG said at the end of their statement that institutions should be prepared to change their plans for Fall 2021 as guidance from USG may change, according to changes in Georgia Department of Public Health’s guidelines and new executive orders from Governor Kemp’s office.

The George-Anne Inkwell will be sure to provide students with the latest information on COVID-19 guidelines for Fall 2021 as it becomes available.

To read the complete updated guidance from USG about Fall 2021, click here.