Fisk and freshmen run away with Hummingbird Intercollegiate title

Ryan Pye

Following the first two rounds of the Hummingbird Intercollegiate from Cashiers, North Carolina, the Georgia Southern men’s golf team found themselves atop of the leaderboard with one round of play remaining.

In the second round on Monday, the Eagles shot 272 as a team, one shy of the school record set in the 1980 Gator Invitational.

The Eagles were led by freshman Ben Carr, who shot a pair of 68s in the first two rounds, and freshman Wilson Andress, who posted a 69 and a 67 on the day. Both Carr and Andress were tied for third place heading into the third, and final, round.

Georgia Southern continued their superior play in the third round on Tuesday, where freshman Mason Williams fired a tournament-best 65, putting an exclamation point on the Eagles ultimate victory.

The Eagles topped the second place finisher, Morehead State, by a whopping 13 strokes.

GS senior standout Steven Fisk impressed with his play yet again, finishing the tournament at -10, and claiming his second straight win.

Fisk’s win from Cashiers marks his fifth career win while at Georgia Southern.

“Eagle Nation should be very proud of the determination in this group, and I believe the best is yet to come,” head coach Carter Collins told gseagles. 

The Eagles will look to build on their strong performance from North Carolina for when they make the trip to Warren Golf Course in South Bend, Indiana, this weekend for the Fighting Irish Invitational.

Ryan Pye, The George-Anne Sports Reporter, gasports@georgiasouthern.edu