Three transfers Georgia Southern should pursue

DJ Cadden, Sports Editor

Since his arrival in Statesboro in early November, Clay Helton’s sole focus has been on building a staff and recruiting players to fit the new system.

While the majority of the new additions to the roster have come through the high school ranks, the Eagles have begun to dabble in the transfer portal. The highlight of the new additions is former Buffalo quarterback Kyle Vantrease, who committed to the Eagles on Monday.

Now that the fanbase knows the new staff is willing and eager to reach into the transfer portal, here are some names that the team should look into adding.

Sam Brown (Wide Receiver; West Virginia): Brown, a former three-star recruit according to 247Sports, attended New Hampstead High School, which is less than an hour drive from Statesboro.

In his first year at West Virginia, Brown struggled to find playing time and recorded just nine catches for 82 yards. The lack of production prompted the talented receiver to enter his name in the transfer portal. It seems like a no-brainer that the Eagles will pursue Brown in some fashion this offseason.

Sincere David (Defensive tackle, Ole Miss): Helton has hinted at desiring more continuity and experience on the defense, which was aided by the return of linebacker Todd Bradley-Glenn.

However, the departure of nose tackle CJ Wright leaves a noticeable hole at the defensive tackle position. While there are slim pickings in the portal for defensive tackles, there are a handful of guys with high level experience at the position.

David appeared in 18 games during his time with the Rebels, but never carved out a consistent starting spot. David, who is originally from Jacksonville, held an offer from Georgia Southern in high school. The previous connection could potentially lead to some level of interest between both sides.

Enock Makonzo (Safety; Coastal Carolina): Makonzo may be the least likely of the bunch to choose Georgia Southern, but the safety out of Canada would make a huge impact on the Eagle defense.

Formerly at Coastal Carolina, Makonzo was named to numerous All-Sun Belt teams after strong campaigns in 2020 and 2021. While Makonzo will more than likely choose a Power Five school, the draw of being coached by a high level coach like Clay Helton could perhaps sway Makonzo to stay within the Sun Belt.