Adjusting to the College Life as an “Introvert”.

Hello to the new wave of first-year students of Georgia Southern.

I understand college may be a bit overwhelming but hear me out. This article may deliver a new outlook on life and what is ahead of you during your college years.

During my first year of college, I was an extreme introvert and still am after getting to know the environment and learning who my friends are. It has helped me out tremendously. The first thing I want to clarify is the statement that was pounded in my head most of my life before going to college, “College is a lot harder than High-School. The teachers aren’t as forgiving as we are”.

This statement is not the truth and depends on the class and expectations held by the teacher in that class. Sure, you may encounter a problem or grudge against a teacher, but always remember. They are humans, too, and have a life outside of class.

From my experience, the teachers I had were incredible and understanding, giving me extensions for work whenever I struggled to keep up with the workload and manage my life outside of school.

Now since that is out of the way, here are my essential tips for you and those who are introverts wanting to experience college life.

Make Friends- Having Friends goes a long way, and I genuinely mean that. Moving out to college on your own is like taking a giant leap into the unknown. In my eyes, I see it as a perfect opportunity for a learning experience and a snippet of what life has to offer. Your parents are not with you, or at least not as close in the vicinity, and you’re trying to adjust. Having like-minded friends can help steer you from harm, make memorable memories, have someone to talk to, trust, and ask for help when in need. When I mean having Friends goes a long way. I genuinely mean that.
Shout out to Jace Reiley, Bryce Bermudez, and Raphael Dumakor.

Discover who YOU are and Learn to Touch Grass- College life is not for the faint of heart. There are many dangers, and knowing who you are, and your priorities and morals can help shield you from things you shouldn’t have to experience—not trying to sound like a protective parent, but coming from a family of helicopter parents. Staying safe in college is very important. Not knowing who you are as a person and not being mentally secure with your priorities can result in dangerous experiences or trying to fit in with the wrong crowd. During my first year of college, I met many people who were different, and I wanted to friend them thinking they could be close friends. However, in the end, I realized those people I friended were not my people and experienced things that I could have avoided if I had known who I was and what I would tolerate and not tolerate.

Have a hobby-Whether that is outside or inside, use it to fellowship with new people to make friends.
Learn to have a hobby. In the first semester of my first year, I was unsure about what I was doing with my life. I came from a family of helicopter parents who were playing video games as my escape, and now being on my own in college, not having my parents around. It was a new normal that I was not accustomed to and had difficulty adjusting to. I had too much free time and usually sat in my dorm, wasting time away playing video games or sleeping. In addition, this was in the fall of 2020, with Covid-19 running rampant, so making friends was even more difficult. Which eventually led to me falling into a depressive state and giving up. That semester was extremely difficult for me, and I feel having a hobby, and like-minded friends would have helped me that semester.

With these tips in mind, hopefully, this will help ease your transition into college and always remember. No matter what you go through in College, You Can’t Have A Comeback Without A Setback.

Stay safe and have a wonderful experience at Georgia Southern!