A Little Coffee, A Little Counseling

Cafecito con counseling is a weekly workshop for students to share cultural perspectives, tackle topics like relationship dynamics and share a cup of coffee.

Cafecito con counseling discusses an array of topics from family dynamics to making friends on campus. Coming to a Cafecito gives students a sense of home and a sense of belonging on campus. It is an open-minded space to tackle issues head-on with discussions led by students and moderated by a counselor. Plus, there’s always coffee.

Tatiana Smith, an Armstrong case manager and counselor started Cafecito con counseling to provide an open space for people from Hispanic and foreign backgrounds to talk about mental health. Tatiana collaborated with the Hispanic Outreach and Leadership Achievement (HOLA) and the Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) to make this happen for two semesters with the help of HOLA president Naomi Reyez.

Naomi wears many hats on campus. She is a science tutor in the SMART center, president of HOLA, a student leader for the OMA and the president of the Caribbean Student Association for Caribbean Americans. In an interview with Naomi, she said, “I’m very connected to my roots. It’s important to me to be able to share that with other people, but also to be a hub for people to learn about their own culture they may not have had growing up.”

Andrea, a second-year student, came to Cafecito con counseling after being encouraged by her First Year Seminar class to attend more campus events. During a little chat with Andrea, she mentioned “I’m shy, but this is an opportunity to meet other people from different cultures. We might be Hispanic but different cultures. I’m from Peru, there are people from Columbia, Ecuador, Mexico, Asia, and Africa too. It’s not just Hispanic but it’s foreign cultures. I love it because that’s when we get to share stuff with each other.”

Andrea and Tatiana said Cafecito literally means “little coffee. In Hispanic culture, a Cafecito is a reunion or a meeting with someone that you want to know or you already know. You share special moments and share plans for the future with family and close friends, keeping lines of communication fresh. Coffee adds a coziness factor to the workshop, acting as an ice breaker and conversation starter for students who may feel shy meeting people randomly on campus.

If you are interested in attending a workshop session, Cafecito con counseling is held weekly in the Old Rec Center building. Check Eagle Engage for meeting times, and look out for posters advertising more events by HOLA, OMA, and the counseling center.