Lowcountry seafood festival brings community together on Armstrong

• Louvenia’s Seafood Truck.

• Photo of Mrs. Wilkerson and Cailiee providing tea to students

• Tamia W.

• College Panhellenic Council Table President and Vice President Anslie(Left) Adriana(Right)

• Sign of Alpha Sigma Tau

• Alpha Sigma Tau Table (Brianne)

• Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Table Embassie(Left) Sharel(Right)

• Check-in Station (Peighton B. on the right checking in students)

• Sigma Sigma Sigma(Left) Alpha Sigma Tau(Right)

• Pupuseria Jireh staff

• Rita’s Ice Custard Truck

• Nickel Bag of Funk (Lead Singer: Leslie A.)

• Henna Painting Station (Ms. Melinda)

• PHI MU Table (Adrianna H.)

Editor’s Note:

In an earlier version of this article, we included information regarding the passing of Mr. Paul Bradley Jr., former Assistant Director of the Office of Student Activities. We have since removed this detail from the story, recognizing that it deserves a more fitting tribute. We plan to honor the late Paul Bradley Jr. with a dedicated tribute in the near future.

Dozens of Savannah residents and students gathered at the Low Country Boil Festival, enjoying seafood, local vendors and entertainment hosted by The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

On Saturday, Aug. 19 the festival brought together local business vendors, including Rita’s Ice, Kona’s Ice, Royal Tasty Avenue Food Truck, Pupuseria Jireh and Louvenia’s Seafood Truck.

Candace McCray, assistant director of Fraternity and Sorority Life praised the meticulous selection of vendors.

The festival offered more than just food. Attendees were offered henna tattoos, popcorn, cotton candy, games and live music from A Nickel Bag of Funk and lead singer Leslie Adele.

Louvenia’s Seafood Truck was a standout, with lines consistently filled throughout the event, despite inclement weather. April Smith, a Garden City resident, expressed her dedication to Louvenia’s offerings.

“I’ve tried her more than one time, and where she goes, I go,” Smith said.

When asked about what sets Louvenia’s apart, Smith praised the quality. “Her quality is very good. Everybody’s seafood is not the same. And you can tell by her snow crab and shrimp… And I think for the quality that she gives you, her prices are very good,” she added.

Corey Jackson, another fan of Louvenia’s, emphasized the food truck’s role in community integration. “I think it’s good, not only to see her coming on campus, but it also allows other people to integrate with the students,” Jackson said. “You know, [it lets you] see different avenues in the community, different vendors out here, so that’s great. It’s a great opportunity.”

Aside from members of the community, students also expressed their enthusiasm for the event. Tamia Walker, a second-year business management major, was thrilled with the first week of activities on campus. “I really think we stepped up since Thursday,” Walker said. “I saw that, I think, at the Eagle Experience. There was a mechanical bull, a bounce house, ice cream and so much more. so I’m really excited.”

Wesley Melton, a third-year marine biology major, said he ventured out of his dorm to investigate the commotion and was immediately intrigued by the advertising of alligator servings at Louvenia’s. Melton explained that he felt the event should have been promoted more for students.

“Honestly, I feel like they were not as promoted as they should have been because most of the events that I came to, I just happened to walk out and see them,” Melton said. “Like, I didn’t even know about the event today unless I walked out of my dorm.” Melton acknowledged that recent events on campus have fostered connections with the local community, bringing more non-students on campus.

For more campus coverage and highlights from events, stay tuned to the Inkwell.