Faces of Armstrong

Communications Instructor Karla Jennings on Being Open About Cancer and Community
Terrell J.
Professor Karla Jennings in her office.

Karla Jennings, breast cancer survivor and communications lecturer on Armstrong Campus, advocates for the power of vulnerability, both in overcoming the fear of public speaking and in building community.

Jennings has been an instructor on the Armstrong campus since 2012.

“I thought of myself as really independent and self-sufficient, and I saw myself as healthy and strong, and then I got a diagnosis and all of a sudden all of those ideas just went out the window,” said Jennings.

“I think the idea of being independent was really key to my identity because no matter what it was, I could do it.”

Jennings talked about how finding community in others who shared her experiences benefitted her.

“I think being able to talk to other people who have gone a little bit ahead of you in the kind of cancer that you had or the treatment that you had was really helpful and walking alongside people who are just behind you or walking along at the same point as you was really helpful.”

Being diagnosed in the fall semester of 2014, Jennings had to undergo treatment the following spring semester, eventually taking a leave of absence from teaching that fall.

“I was a little bit more reserved , because I kind of needed to separate out my self that was getting up and teaching in front of students with the part of me that was having to go through treatment”

Eventually she decided to be open with her students about what she was going through.

“I just told them what was going on. That was like the first time that I realized that it was okay to be vulnerable with students,” said Jennings. “I think when students understand that you’re going through something hard it kind of helps them think that you can relate.”

“I think there’s a good that goes along with realizing that you can’t do everything yourself and there’s also a good with kind of having to see yourself in a different way.”

In 2018, Jennings delivered a TED Talk emphasizing the importance of vulnerability and highlighting her teaching philosophy.

“When I allow others to see my weaknesses in my classes, my students feel open to do the same.” Said Jennings in the TED Talk.