Here lies my college career: A memoir

• Rebecca Hooper is a senior marketing major from Pooler, Georgia. She is the Editor-in-Chief of the creative division at The George-Anne Media Group.

Rebecca Hooper

Freshman Rebecca be like: I don’t really talk. I stay clear of people. Please don’t look at me. I’m not smart. Who am I? 

Senior Rebecca be like: WOOOHOOOOOO I am unapologetically me. I finally found myself, my values, and my place in the world. I say what I think! I have also successfully tricked Georgia Southern University into giving me a diploma. Suckers! 

There were so many more moments I can account for in the past four years as an Eagle. Some I cannot legally say. But nevermind that, let’s focus on what I can say. 

Joining Student Media was the best thing I could have ever done. I joined because my graphic design hobby wouldn’t stop nagging me about it, and here I am now departing from this organization with three (3) years of managing experience. I put my heart and soul into Student Media, and it rewarded me with professional skills and people that I will have and cherish for the rest of my life. 

If you’ve never set foot in the newsroom on layout nights, here’s a little summary of what it was like for me these past four years: 

The slight smell of mildew and asbestos tickles my nose as Brendan and I stroll in with Taco Bell while the faint sound of Spongebob clips and Vine compilations echo in the background. My bald cap glistens on my desk just as David’s head does, in my humble opinion. The ghosts of Jozsef and Ian linger by the box of expired canned goods while Matthew and Brendan fight about whose turn it is to play with the light saber. McClain sits in his chair that is alarmingly leaned back so far to the point of no return, and Blakeley is on the couch taking a nap. Tandra sits at her desk with Canva on her computer and Chick-fil-A in hand. Tyler emerges from the Circle office chanting, “anyone want to go to the Union?” Coy runs in dressed as Spiderman to tell me how many ads are going in the paper. My phone buzzes with a message from the group chat reading, “Gnats?” or “Slim Thicc?” Life is good.

I am leaving my G-A career with people I am honored to call my friends. Cayley, McClain, Matthew, Tandra, Brendan, Anthony, Blakeley, Emma, Shiann, Brandon and Tyler were those friends that I could always count on for a good laugh or advice. 

I am so glad I got close with you guys when I did because you made my college experience nothing but amazing. I had unique and spectacular moments with each and every one of you guys that were highlights in my college days. The fact that half of you graduated and left the rest of us doesn’t sit well with my soul though. 

I am also glad I got to know Austin too, even though he didn’t hire me as the ads designer for my first semester on staff. It’s okay now, but I won’t forget. 

To Sammi and David, thank you for putting up with me and my crazy, outlandish ideas. 

Without further ado, here are my favorite quotes from my favorite 4’10” man that reflect what I’ve learned in college, among other things:  

“It’s fun to be on the edge. I think you do your best work when you take chances, when you’re not safe, when you’re not in the middle of the road, at least for me, anyway.”

– Danny DeVito

“I don’t look ahead. I’m right here with you. It’s a good way to be.”

– Danny DeVito

“Let’s gooooooo”

– wait… that’s McClain. 

And this is Becca, signing off for the last time as a member of The George-Anne Media Group creative team. 

Alexa, play Electric Feel by MGMT.

Rebecca Hooper, The George-Anne Media Group Creative Editor-in-Chief, prodmgr@georgiasouthern.edu