Saying thank you and goodbye to Student Media

• Anthony Belinfante is a senior journalism major and news reporter for The George-Anne.

Anthony Belinfante

Working for The George-Anne for the past two years has been one of the highlights of my time at Georgia Southern. Before joining student media, I was this shy and awkward kid who spent his down time between classes sitting alone on the third floor of the library. While I still feel like that kid at times, I have to credit The George-Anne for helping me come out of my shell. I have to thank students like  Matthew Enfinger, Tandra Smith, and Brendan Ward for welcoming me with open arms when I wasn’t sure if I was going to fit in, and encouraging me to be the best version of myself when it came to being a student journalist. Since joining the newspaper, I have made so many friends in both the newsroom and The Reflector office that made work not really feel like work at all. 

I am thankful to have worked for student media because I learned so much about myself personally and as a journalist. The newsroom always felt like a safe space where I could go and just be myself, while also learning about how to be a better journalist. I am now more confident in myself as a writer than ever before, and can honestly say that I am walking away from student media with a new set of skills.

Some people I would like to thank include:

1. My mom for always reading my articles.

2. McClain Baxley and Kristen Siciliano for being the best friends a stressed out reporter could ask for.

3. Blakeley Bartee for being a great EIC.

4. Isis Mayfield and Ashton Christianson for always being down for a trip to Russell Union.

5. Becca Hooper for the unbelievable talent and kindness she brought to the newsroom and student media

I encourage anyone at GS looking for journalism experience to join student media. While it comes with a lot of work, it can also be a lot of fun.

I have experienced both good and bad days while working at The George-Anne, but I wouldn’t change a thing. I’m going to miss seeing and talking to the staff everyday, and I will continue to cheer them on long after I graduate. 

Thank you student media. It’s been an honor.

Anthony Belinfante, The George-Anne News Reporter, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu