Let’s Watch Some Football

Meg Elwood and Bailey Adcock and

While some of us are making the trek up to Athens on Saturday, others are not quite as adventurous. Alas, there are more options! All over the state of Georgia, viewing parties will be held to show the game for us die-hard Eagles. In fact, there are viewing parties held all over the country, from Statesboro to San Francisco.

Here are some of the locations in and around Atlanta:

• Smoke Ring BBQ in Metro-Atlanta is located at 309 Nelson Street, Southwest. This is a down-home barbecue restaurant run by Georgia Southern alum Jordan Wakefield who also happens to be the executive chef. Some of the menu items include sliders (with names such as “The Tractor Pull” and “The Farmer’s Daughter”), barbecue plates and sandwiches such as the “Best Damn Grilled Cheese Ever!” and “Smoke Ring BLT”. For those 21 and over, Smoke Ring BBQ offers “southern elixirs, along with Georgia wines and beers and moonshine.”

Learn more at smokeringatlanta.com

• Rose and Crown Tavern is located at 1931 Powers Ferry Road Southeast in Atlanta. This is owner and GSU alum, Miguel Ayoub’s modern take on the classic English pub. Some of their menu items include burgers such as the “Easy Does It” or “Bad Al’s Pounder”, classic pub sandwiches like the “Pub Reuben” and the BLT, and an extensive list of entrees. Of course the Rose and Crown Tavern has an impressive selection of alcoholic drinks with about 18 beers and various cocktails.

Learn more at Imsmartsites.com/roseandcrown

• For something more familiar to Statesboro, Dunwoody’s Wild Wing Café also has viewing parties. This branch of one of Statesboro’s favorites is located at 4788 Ashford Dunwoody Road. Manager and GSU alum Sam Witherington not only will have the game playing, but customers donning their GSU apparel will receive 1/2 price appetizers!

Learn more at Wildwingcafe.com/locations/dunwoody-ga

Can’t go to Athens? Sucks right… luckily staying here has it’s perks of comfort as well as technically having the best view of the game without paying for transportation and a ticket. After all, game day is better in the ‘Boro. Here are some options one can take to see the big game itself.

For those staying in the Boro, you can enjoy viewing parties at the following locations:

• 40 East Grill which is located, appropriately, at 40 East Main Street, will be showing the game on Saturday. For anyone who has yet to be to 40 East, it is a high class restaurant that one may take their significant other to for Valentine’s Day. If you are looking to feel fancy for a night, you can enjoy a variety of entrees including steaks, fish, and even roasted quail breast.

Learn more at 40eastgrill.com

• Down the street from 40 East there is a more laid back restaurant called Main Street Bar & Grill. Located at 230 South Main Street, this is a common hangout for GSU students and so it makes sense that they would accommodate the demand for a fun place to watch the Eagles take on the Bulldogs. Though the name may not portray it, this restaurant features menu items inspired by the foods of Italy and the Mediterranean. Main Street features $2 single wells and $3 double wells all day, every day and students get a 5% discount with the purchase of a drink.

Learn more at statesborocity.com/MainStreetBarGrill

• The Clubhouse, located in Statesboro, is a popular place for students to have fun, is also showing the game. Not only does The Clubhouse have a Spikes Sports Grill & Bar, they also have a full arcade, bowling, mini golf and other ways to keep you entertained at halftime! The Clubhouse will be having a tailgate party before the game starting at 11 a.m. It is located at 2704 Old Register Road.

Learn more at clubhousestatesboro.com

• Mellow Mushroom, located at 1098 Bermuda Run Road, is a college student staple. Almost everyone loves the atmosphere as well as the pizzas. Statesboro’s location will be showing the game on Saturday.

Learn more at mellowmushroom.com/store/Statesboro

• Loco’s Grill and Pub, another student favorite, will also be showing the game. While some of us typically just order Loco’s to be delivered, the atmosphere on game day is something to be experienced. This Loco’s is located at 91 Briarwood Lane. Go enjoy a burger or some wings and cheer on the team with your fellow Eagles!

Learn more at locosgrill.com/locations/13/Statesboro 

• Statesboro’s Wild Wing Café will keep with their tradition and show the big game. Wild Wing Café, not to be confused with Buffalo Wild Wings, is a hub for socializing in the ‘Boro. With a large menu of burgers, apps and, of course, wings, this restaurant attracts students daily. Like Loco’s, game day at Wild Wing is something students should witness.

Learn more at wildwingcafe.com/locations/statesboro-ga

• Buffalo Wild Wings: Any restaurant with “wings” in it’s name will be playing this game. You and your friends probably won’t be the only ones there, so it may be a good idea to call ahead to make reservations or see how crowded it is. You may not be able to hear the game either, so just go along with the cheers and boo’s.

Learn more at buffalowildwings.com

• GATA’s Sports Bar: A no-brainer, GATA’s will have drink specials for those over 21 and will of course be playing the game on every single one of the 75 flatscreens they own. This place is sure to be packed, so get there early for a table or call ahead to reserve.

To learn more about GATA’s visit facebook.com/gatanation/ 

• Gnat’s Landing: Another GSU favorite restaurant and bar to sit and watch the game. While they don’t have as many TV’s to watch the game from, you can still see the game from wherever you’re sitting while eating a bomb quesadilla or salmon BLT.

To learn more visit gnatslanding.com

• Dorm common areas: For the freshman looking for somewhere right down the hall, your dorm should be showing the big game in the main common area. There will more than likely be free pizza and drinks too, so even if you don’t want to watch the game, get down there for some free food!

• Dining Commons: If you haven’t seen a flyer on your door about any type of celebration in your hall, head over to the Dining commons to stuff your face with game day food while watching the game on one of their many TV’s.

• Your own home: Why leave the house when you can just turn on your TV? Grab some chips, dips, cokes, maybe a few pizzas and kick back on the couch with your friends. Your home should already be screaming “Eagle fan,” so no need for decor! If you want to take it up a notch, have your roommates bring their TV’s from their room for a multi-screen video game and football game experience. Boom.

• A friend’s house: Better yet, why not go over to a friends place? Just bring a little side item of food or drink, or if you’re lucky they’ll have all of the food and drinks. All you have to do is grab a space on their couch. Just help them clean up if the game gets intense… which it probably will.