DISCOVER: Anthropology Society

• The Anthropology Society is an organization that  exposes students to new cultures and attempts to get students involved in community service projects. Major on non-major, the society attempts to get students engaged.

Meg Elwood

A HOBBY, A LIFESTYLE, A NEW GEORGE-ANNE SERIES

Undeclared? Unhappy with a major? Bored? ‘Discover’ is a new article series here to help give a voice to student clubs, societies, and opportunities that are unknown to much of the campus. Who knows, you may just Discover your passion here at GSU.

Last week, the hands-on experiences of Archaeology was the front page story. This week, we hear from Alvaro Smith and Zary Manning, students of the Anthropology Society.

“Eric Wolf describes Anthropology as ‘the most humanitarian of  the sciences, and the most scientific of the humanities,’” senior Zary Manning, secretary of the Anthropology Society said.

Anthropology is the study of human societies, cultures, and development. If you are shy around groups of people or feel like you don’t have a place to fit in, think again. The people who make up the anthropology department, both professors and students, are possibly some of the most down to earth people (literally) you will ever meet. They always find something to talk about and are very passionate about people and the world they live in.

Manning describes the small family feel of the society as something that “exposes you to different cultures and different people and ways of living, I think that’s a good quality to have as a scientist and a person.”

The society is a great place for anyone, whether they are anthropology majors or non-majors, to meet new people and expand their knowledge. Manning and society president Alvaro Smith, have big plans for this coming semester, such as a highlander trip to Stone Mountain.

“We’re going to do outings, and during meetings we’ll be doing presentations. Each presentation will talk about different issues in today’s world and anthropology as well,” Smith said.

Don’t let the word “discussion” scare you.

“The presentations will be structured in a way to encourage discussion, not to limit discussion. People can always bring their thoughts and say what they want to say,” Manning said.

Not only that, if you’re a student in need of volunteer hours, the society has got you covered.

“There are lots of archeology volunteer opportunities that are presented to this society, it’s kind of the first place the faculty or graduate students go when they need help”, said Manning.

The society is also planning to volunteer at local humane societies and soup kitchens as well as holding multiple fundraisers like yard and bake sales during this coming semester.

“Naturally,as anthropologists, we want to help people,” Smith said.

The Anthropology Society is expecting a good turnout this semester, if this sounds like your kind of thing, shoot them an email at either zm00622@georgiasouthern.edu or as10778@georgiasouthern.edu.

Not sure? We’ll be checking back with the society near the end of the semester, so see what you missed and join them in spring.

Grab a paper next week for an inside look at learning how to make fire.