Trojans edge past Lady Eagles in overtime

Hayden Boudreaux

The Lady Eagles hosted Troy tonight in an attempt to snap a 10-game losing streak. After an intense overtime match, Troy left with a victory, 99-93.

Troy came out of the gate swinging and took a 5-3 lead. They played a full court press in an effort to keep the Lady Eagles away from the basket. With help from guard Alexis Sams knocking down a three pointer, the teams were tied at seven with 15 minutes remaining in the first half.

The Trojans jumped out to a 10-0 run, but Sams caught fire and knocked down two three pointers in a row to give the Eagles only a 17-13 deficit. Before long, the home team had battled back to a 26-24 lead over Troy with just over six minutes remaining. By halftime, the Eagles had caught fire, with three players scoring the double digits and a 47-42 lead.

The second half opened much like the first. The Trojans went on a seven-point run and took the lead back from Georgia Southern. After five minutes, things began to level out with Alexis Sams grabbing another three pointer. Sams helped her team regain the lead but was tied again by Troy. Sophomore guard Angel McGowan went down with an apparent knee injury and had to be assisted off the court. McGowan had put up 14 points before the injury.

With ten minutes remaining in the game, neither team could pull too far ahead. The Eagles would go up only to fall behind again, 63-60. Freshman guard Abby Hix nailed two straight three pointers to give themselves the lead, but Troy answered quickly. Four minutes were left on the clock and Troy was holding on to a one-point lead. Time was winding down and each team was trading baskets. Momentum shifted when Angel McGowan returned to the court to draw a foul and put the Eagles ahead by two.

Senior guard Anna Claire Knight drew a foul and hit one free throw, followed by Troy getting a bucket of their own. With 27.2 seconds remaining, the Eagles trailed by one again. They were given possession with :11.3 remaining, and Hix came in the clutch and drained a three pointer from the corner. Troy answered with barely any time remaining and sent the game into overtime.

McGowan scored the first points of overtime with a long three pointer. Troy followed up with a basket but then trailed by one. Sams recorded another three, but a bucket and foul gave Troy a 91-88 advantage. The Trojans were able to pull ahead and hold on for a high scoring 99-93 victory.