Students to fight modern slavery at Rotunda

• Graphic by: Sarah Horne

Caitlyn Oliver

Today from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. the Student Abolitionist Movement (S.A.M.) will host an event at the Russell Union Rotunda to raise awareness about modern slavery and human trafficking.

“We planned it for a time of high foot traffic on campus,” Claire Torell, S.A.M. president, said. “The idea is to reach as many people as possible.”

Roughly 50 volunteers are coming together to teach students about human trafficking and create an opportunity for discussion that will increase knowledge of modern slavery and involvement to end its occurrence, Torell said.

“When I first heard slavery still exists and that there are millions forced everyday to work against their will, held in captivity and unpaid, I didn’t have a choice but to get involved. That was information I couldn’t help but act upon because I would want someone to help me,” Torell said.

The event will give students a chance to win prizes, such as Fair Trade chocolate, and T-shirts will be on sale for $10.

The money from the shirts will go to a group called Urban Light. Urban Light is an organization dedicated to helping male victims of human trafficking in Thailand.

Local bands The Orange Constant, The Buddy Petts Blues Band and The Alamo will play throughout the event.

“Knowledge is the ultimate power in defeating slavery in our lifetime,” Torell said. “If we as Georgia Southern University students become enlightened about this issue then the future is brighter for millions because of how we use our purchasing power and the legislation we push through the government.”