Tennis: GSU progresses through third tournament

Kaitlyn Glenn

The men’s tennis team had a successful weekend at the Georgia Southern Championships hosted at the Hanner Tennis Complex.

On Friday, senior Oliver Webb kicked off the tournament with a win against sophomore Sean Bacha of Florida Atlantic University 2-6, 7-5 and 6-1.  At the end of day one, GSU came out strong winning five of the seven singles matches.

Early Saturday morning, Webb and junior Kyle Hoffman won their first doubles match of the tournament against sophomores Jorge Wilton and Maksim Yorsh of Kennesaw State University, 9-7.

Later, senior Marco Osorio pulled out another singles win, t his time against freshman Mark Hamill of the University of North Florida 7-5 and 6-0. Saturday evening, freshman Christian Kerrigan defeated Bacha bringing home the last win of the day 6-3 and 6-4.

Sunday the Eagles came ready to play, starting with the dynamic duo of Webb and Hoffman. Webb and Hoffman lost in the first round of the top doubles draw but won in the sequential consolation round, reeling off two consecutive victories.

“Overall (Sunday) I think I played pretty well,” Webb said. “I had a pretty good doubles result. We came back from a couple of breaks behind and managed to win 9-7.”

Webb was the Eagles’ best player in singles matches, finishing third in the top singles flight after defeating sophomore Robert Dubuque of FAU, 6-3 and 6-0.

For its third tournament of the fall, Webb has seen his team have ups and downs.

“Overall it’s been pretty tough against pretty good teams. Everyone’s been working really hard, but the results have just been coming in a bit slower than we like, but we’re gaining a lot,” Webb said.

After the tournament, assistant coach Carlos Ovaoa was pleased with the results.

“Some of our guys that were out at the end of last semester with injuries and stuff are back, running healthy, and eventually getting a couple of good wins this week and so that’s a big positive for us,” Ovaoa said.

Although these are fall tournaments for GSU, the team is using this time to work on its game and get ready for the spring season.

“One of the things that we’re working on is competitiveness. We’ve got a very good group of guys with tons of levels and talents, but we need to put that talent in the right direction to be close in matches or win the matches for the singles side,” Ovaoa said.

GSU w  ill compete in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Regional this weekend in Atlanta.