Schulz wows crowd with comedic routine

• Photo by: Heather Yeomans

ShelFarmer

It was 6:50 p.m., 40 minutes before the show was advertised to begin, and a not-so-single-filed line was already stretching from the Russell Union Ballroom, through the middle of the Union and toward the Rotunda entrance.

Almost 25 minutes pass before an event coordinator announces that there will be absolutely no seat saving.

Around 7:30 p.m., the back half of the line, which had since doubled, finally began to move toward the Georgia Southern University Weeks of Welcome comedy show featuring stand-up comedian and “Guy Code” host Andrew Schulz.

“Can’t Hold Us” by Macklemore blared in the ballroom as students filled the room that maxes around 700 bodies.

Schulz took the stage just after 8 p.m. to greet a roaring crowd.

Miley Cyrus, Mexicans, bears, southern culture and even the audience were all subjects of Schulz’s MTV-styled humor, leaving no stereotype, curse word or human genitalia untouched.

Schulz cackled at his own jokes as he poked fun at GSU itself, bringing up the recent HIV threat to campus and the suspect’s manner of enticing his victims.

“I got a record deal for ya,” Schulz said.

The laughs continued as Schulz explained that living with three females is not what he expected.

“It’s titties everywhere,” Schulz said. “No, it’s not. It’s hair. Living with three females is like living with three 5 foot cats.”

Schulz repeatedly pointed out an audience member sitting near the stage and asked them personal questions about their relationship statuses.

“Let’s call your girlfriend,” Schulz said after a male audience member claimed his girlfriend was home studying.

Holding the phone to the microphone for all to hear, the audience listened quietly as the phone rang, rang, rang and went to voicemail. To the audience’s delight, Schulz left a lengthy voicemail not so subtly hinting that he thought she was out cheating on her significant other.

Schulz closed the show with an anecdote of a trip he took to Las Vegas with a homophobic, Hispanic friend named Javier who was not okay with the thought of sharing a bed with Schulz.

“That junk was hilarious,” Taylor Johnson, freshman pre-nursing major said. “He was just so real.”

Alex Fitzhugh, sophomore political science major said, “He was funny, cool. It was a very college-esque show.”