Courageous Conversations at Georgia Southern

• The first Courageous Conversation meeting will be at the Russell Union on Wednesday, Dec. 4 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. 

Sarah Smith

STATESBORO  — Georgia Southern’s president, Dr. Kyle Marrero, announced a series of Courageous Conversations in an email sent out on Thursday.

The events have a goal to help the GS community grow together through differences that make us stronger and better, according to Marrero. The President’s Student Advisory Committee (PSAC) on Inclusive Excellence is sponsoring these conversations with a focus on privilege, respect and social responsibility for the first meeting. 

“This is an important way we can continue our commitment to ensuring Georgia Southern is a welcoming home for all, where each student feels a sense of belonging. I sincerely hope you will make every effort to support PSAC as we all work together to achieve Inclusive Excellence on our campuses – creating a culture that revolves around dialogue and respect.”

PSAC was created in September with the hopes of making a more inclusive environment at GS. PSAC members have been working with Marrero closely since then. 

The first of these events will be held on the below dates.

Monday, Dec. 2 from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at the Ogeechee Theatre on the Armstrong Campus in Savannah.

Wednesday, Dec. 4 from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at Russell Union Ballroom on the Statesboro Campus and will be live streamed at the Liberty campus in room 105.

Courageous Conversations are open to students, faculty, and staff. In February 2020, PSAC will sponsor a panel discussion on social justice. In March 2020, another panel will be held with gender and sexuality as the topic.

Further information on these events will be posted on the Inclusive Excellence page.

Sarah Smith, The George-Anne News Editor, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu