Service Greek organizations react to office change

Lauren Gorla

Seven service Greek organizations are moving back to the Office of Student Activities from the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Relations and feel mixed emotions about the move.

“Speaking for my organization, we just hope that nothing has changed and that it’s the same as when we were first there,” Sienna Sewell, president of Gamma Sigma Sigma, said.

The seven organizations moved to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Relations two years ago in order to be protected by Title IX guidelines, a part of the Educational Amendment of 1972 that regulates gender-specific organizations.

“I would have to say we really hated (being under the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Relations Office) if I can be completely honest,” Sewell said.

There were more rules going into Greek life that made organizations selective and the rules went against the organization’s national constitution, Sewell said.

Earlier this month, the organizations were informed of the move at the Organizations Renewal Fair and also at a United Greek Council meeting.

“I went to the renewal workshop sometime in April, and that’s when they told us it would be dissolved and we would be put in category three along with some of the club sports on campus.  That was really the first we really heard about being part of OSA and the new move,” Daryl Johnson, president of Alpha Phi Omega, said.

While under the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Relations, Alpha Phi Omega had to balance following its constitutional guidelines and following the guidelines of the office.

Under the national by-laws, Alpha Phi Omega was meant to be non-selective, while under the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Relations, it had to follow new guidelines when recruiting members, Johnson said.

“We’re founded on leadership, friendship and service, and your intellect really doesn’t have anything to do with giving back to your community.  You don’t have to have a 4.0 to have a good heart,” Johnson said.

Other organizations moving to the Office of Student Activities did not mind being in the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Relations or are neutral on the topic.

“We’re not in any way opposing or supporting the Office of Student Activities or the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Relations. We are very neutral on the whole issue,” Gerred Bell, vice president of Epsilon Tau Pi, said.