Statesboro sizzles with new fajitas

Grace Huseth

Fuzzy’s Taco Shop will add a new addiction to Statesboro’s collection of Mexican restaurants with Tex-Mex style tacos and a full bar menu.

Construction for Fuzzy’s Taco Shop began last week on Hwy 301 across from Millhouse Steakhouse at the former Sonny’s BBQ location.

The scheduled timeline to open is at the end of March but nothing is definitive with construction processes, Mitchell Clearman, director of development for Fuzzy’s Taco Shop, said.

“Millhouse has a good atmosphere, and another restaurant will bring more attention,” Lemuel Watts, freshman computer science major, said.

Opening Fuzzy’s Taco Shop next door to Millhouse Steakhouse could bring more students to the area and create a new bar scene, Watts said.

The building is being renovated to include a full bar and covered patio that will wrap around the building, Clearman said.

“Fuzzy’s has a neat menu with every kind of taco you can think of,” Clearman said.

The selection includes tacos ranging from crawfish to pulled pork, salad and entre options, as well as tacos and burritos on a breakfast menu that will be served all day, Clearman said. ..

Fuzzy’s will be a strong competitor in the Statesboro Mexican restaurant market with the addition of specialty tacos and a full bar. The restaurant may seem similar to the popular Statesboro Mexican restaurant El Sombrero but offers to have a different feel, Clearman said.

“We are aware of El Sombrero restaurants but don’t have any complaints because we offer something different and our menu is extensive,” Clearman said.

All three El Sombrero restaurants are busy on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. Because a busy night can bring around 300 people, larger parties can wait up to thirty minutes for a table, Pedro Lopez, assistant manager of El Sombrero, said..

…The restaurant staff will also be comprised of locals and many GSU students, Clearman said.

Clearman said, “Right now students can go on Craigslist to fill out an application and like us on Facebook. They are also welcome to stop by the site where we will begin interviews in the next couple of weeks.”