Georgia Southern celebrates engineers in its ?rst EWeek

Tayler Critchlow

Georgia Southern University will be hosting its ?rst Engineers’ Week Feb. 17 through the 23 to showcase the different components of engineering.

“The idea is to promote diversity and general outreach in (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics),” JaQuinton Braswell, senior electrical engineer major and president of the National Society of Black Engineers student chapter on campus, said.

“EWeek is a national event celebrated by engineering schools across the nation,” Dr.Shonda Bernadin, associate professor in the Department of Electrical Engineers and advisor for NSBE, said.

“It’s basically to expose the campus to engineers,” Kiara McCrary, sophomore electrical engineer major and program chair of NSBE, said.

Monday will be the kickoff event in the Informational Technology auditorium at 6 p.m.

During the kickoff people will speak on the state of the new college and the dean may speak as well, Bernadin said.

“Diversity in STEM” will be at 6 p.m. on Tuesday in the Russell Union.

Tuesday’s event will show the different cultures involved with engineering, Chinelo Ononye, sophomore chemical engineering major and program chair of the NSBE, said.

“Diversity in STEM” will be a forum to talk about the minorities who have done things in STEM, McCrary said.

“ThanksGeeking” will be held on Wednesday at the Rotunda at 3 p.m.

During the event, people can write letters to teachers thanking them for what they have done, McCrary said.

Thursday at 6 p.m. in the Russell Union there will be “Professionalism in STEM.”

“This is more about engineering and where we need to be with STEM,” Ononye said.

Friday there will be a social from 4 to 6 p.m. in the Williams Center, and from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. there will be Techland in the IT Building.

On Saturday there will be a Dream Fair and “Introduce a Girl to Engineering” day.

The engineering organizations on campus are collaborating with the Girl Scouts to inform students in middle and high school about the importance of women in engineering, Ononye said.

Girl Scouts have been invited from all over the state, though more of the regional troops will attend, Bernadin said.

“We want to raise awareness about engineering, especially among young people,”

Braswell said.

Throughout the week there will also be a campus-wide scavenger hunt, Braswell said.

“Other people can gain knowledge about what engineering is about,” Ononye said.

If a student is undeclared, then this will give them more insight on what STEM does, who engineers are and what engineers do, McCrary said.

EWeek is sponsored by the National Society of Professional Engineers, which began in 1951.

EWeek is in conjugation with President George Washington’s birthday because he is considered to be the nation’s ?rst engineer, according to the National Engineers’ Week Foundation news release.

“We want to make the entire campus aware that EWeek is happening,” Braswell said.

Student chapter groups involved consist of ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers), IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers), ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers), SWE (Society of Women Engineers) and NSBE.

Bernadin said, “One thing I am most proud of is with the students and of?cers of the student organizations for wanting to be recognized, and I am proud of them for taking on the challenge and getting people involved.”