Volleyball receives all-conference honors

Photo by: Mark Barnes IISenior setter Kate Van Dyke (7) reaches up to block a ball against Western Carolina player during the game on Nov. 3. Many of the volleyball team members received all-conference honors today.

Jackie Gutknecht

The Georgia Southern University volleyball team earned three all-conference honors, two all-freshman honors, and two individual honors on the Southern Conference Volleyball All-Conference Teams announced today.

SoCon Coach of the Year

Head coach Chad Callihan was named the SoCon Coach of the Year.

Callihan led the Eagles to 20-plus wins for the third time in his five-year career at GSU. He now also has over 100 victories for the Eagles.

This is Callihan’s second Coach of the Year award, he won the honor in 2004 for the first time when he led Appalachian State University to a 26-8 record overall, and 15-1 in the SoCon winning the North Division title.

SoCon Player of the Year

Senior setter Kate Van Dyke was named the SoCon Player of the Year.

Van Dyke has a total of 1253 assists this season, which ranks her 23rd in the country in assists per set with an average of 11.2. She also tallied 104 kills, 23 service aces and 313 digs this season.

Van Dyke was named the SoCon Student-Athlete of the Week for the week of Sept. 26 and was named to the 2012 Preseason all-conference team. She was also named a candidate for the Senior CLASS Award and broke the GSU career assists record.

All-conference first team

Van Dyke and senior outside hitter Meredith Paskert were named to the all-conference first team.

Van Dyke is the only player in SoCon history to be named all-conference first team four consecutive years.

Paskert totaled a team-high, 400 kills this season averaging 3.48 kills per set. She also added 5 assists, 35 service aces and 138 digs this season.

Paskert was also named the Volleyball Offensive Player of the Week for week eight.

All-conference second team

Senior outside hitter Moriah Bellissimo was named to the all-conference second-team.

Bellissimo tallied a grand total of 307 kills this season, averaging 2.87 kills per set. She also added 29 sets, 30 service aces, and 322 digs.

Bellissimo was named SoCon Offensive Players of the Week for week 12 and was named the Capital One Academic All-District by the College Sports Information Directors of America.

Belissimo was also named the SoCon Student-Athlete of the Week for the week of Nov. 14.

All-freshman team

Freshman libero Alexandra Beecher and freshman middle Crysten Curry were named to the all-freshman team.

Beecher aided the Eagles by adding 560 digs, averaging 4.87 digs per set. She is second at GSU in digs, followed behind Megan Lippi who posted 597 in 2003. She also tallied 102 assists and 33 services aces.

Beecher was award a SoCon weekly honor four times this season. She received SoCon Defensive Player of the Week for week two, week 10 and week 11. She was also named the SoCon Freshmen of the Week for week four.

Curry has a grand total of 68 blocks, leading the team with 1.08 blocks per set. She also added 30 digs and 99 kills this season.

The Eagles have claimed the South Division SoCon title, for the third time in history, and look to grab the top spot in the SoCon Championship. GSU will face off against the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (13-5, 7-9), who is the fourth seed from the North Division in the quarterfinals on Saturday at 12:30 p.m.