GSU Museum reopens with new exhibits after construction

Sarah Ryniker

The Georgia Southern University Museum began the process of reopening its doors with a presentation on its newest exhibit, From Protest to Peace: Northern Irish Murals by The Bogside Artists, which is open now through Jan. 20.

Tomorrow at 7 p.m., GSU professor of writing and linguistics Peggy Lindsey will present “Thinking about Northern Ireland: The Trouble with the Troubles,” according to the GSU news release.

The museum went under window renovations earlier this semester and has been closed since August.

The current exhibit will feature 11 murals by three artists known as The Bogside Artists. These murals are part of a larger movement, which sponsors the advancement of peace and reconciliation in Northern Ireland.

Three GSU faculty members, Dr. Joseph Pellegrino, Dr. Howard Keeley and Dr. Stephen Engel, curated the exhibit. The murals help visually and artistically capture the violence and civil rights protests that have previously occurred in Northern Ireland, according to the news release.

A second exhibit titled, “Archeology of Camp Lawton” will extend until the end of fall 2012. This exhibit includes the archeological finds of the Civil War prison camp located in nearby Jenkins, Georgia. The anthropology and sociology departments of GSU, in cooperation with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service curated the Camp Lawton exhibit.

On Jan. 16, 2013 at 7 p.m., the museum will host Georgia College and State professor Valerie Aranda for a presentation entitled, “The Writings on the Wall: The Role of Political and Cultural Street Murals Across the Globe.”

Also on exhibit are the 78 million year old Mosasaur fossil skeleton and the Vogtle Whale skeleton. These skeletons are present in the Hall of Natural History. There are many opportunities for children exploration, as well as other modern vertebrate skeletons.

GSU Museum staff was unable to comment after an appointment was made with the reporter and then cancelled due to miscommunication between the receptionist and the rest of the museum staff.