Mesa De Conversación is more than a conversation table

Sarah Smith

STATESBORO — Georgia Southern students gathered at El Rinconcito Restaurant on Oct. 8 to enjoy food and speaking Spanish with professors and fellow students. 

This was the second conversation table of the six that are scheduled this semester. 

Professor Miguel García, along with Teaching Assistants Carmen Kramer and Martha Flores, led the event, according to Teresa Buzo-Salas, Spanish professor at GS.

“It was a very nice gathering,” Buzo-Salas said. “There were around 12 people who interacted in Spanish with one another in a very relaxed atmosphere. It was very nice to see how students ordered their delicious mexican food in Spanish. They had the chance to interact with native Spanish speakers in a real Spanish context.

All students are welcome to attend one of the conversation tables, whether or not they are majoring or minoring in Spanish. The purpose of these meetings is to interact with other students and enjoy Mexican cuisine.

“The Department of Foreign Languages encourages Georgia Southern students to attend this event. Everyone is welcome to pass by and participate,” Buzo-Salas said.

The next gatherings for this semester are: 

Monday, Oct. 21 in the Interdisciplinary Academic Building, room 1015, at 5:00 p.m.

Tuesday, Nov. 5 at the El Rinconcito Restaurant at 5:00 p.m.

Monday, Nov. 18 in the Interdisciplinary Academic Building, room 1015 at 5:00 p.m.

Tuesday, Dec. 3 at the El Rinconcito Restaurant at 5:00 p.m.

Sarah Smith, The George-Anne News Editor, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu