GSU welcomes new director of Career Services

• Nancy Nish recently became the new director of Career Services.

Phylicia Gallmon

Hailing from the mid-west, Nancy Nish was unfamiliar to the state of Georgia, but that quickly changed when she was hired as the new director of career services at Georgia Southern University.

In her new position, Nish has taken on the task of revamping career services and opportunities for students at GSU.

“My vision is to increase visibility to use this office,” Nish said.

“Any event that is going on, career services wants to be there,” Andrea Glover, current graduate assistant at GSU working in Career Services said.

Prior to coming to GSU, Nish has held the position as director of the career center at the University of Nebraska and Colorado College. She also was the director for Career Development Center at Wartburg College and the coordinator of career internship services at Culver-Stockton College.

Nish’s past jobs have helped prepare her to aid students in developing and preparing for their desired careers.

“Nancy has been a breath of fresh air and brought a lot positive energy to the office,” Kinsley Baker, a current GSU graduate assistant, said.

Nish’s vision to increase visibility is important because students need to understand that career services is not just available the day after graduation, Baker said.

Glover said she feels confident going into any interview or presenting her resume to anybody after going to career services.

“I regret only utilizing career services only during my senior year,” Glover said.

“GSU has already had some great resources in place to help students like creating a four year plan. Employers are planning ahead, why shouldn’t students?” Nish said.

“Career Services will partner with students every step of the way,” Nish said.

One of the ways Career Services shows its dedication to helping students connect with employers and opportunities is through the Eagle Expo or, “Career Week,” Nish said.

This year will be a little different because the Eagle Expo will also be combined with the graduate fair.

The fair and Eagle Expo gives students the opportunity to not only network with potential employers but also to get ahead of the curve on graduate programs, Nish said.

Nish said, “I am here for the students, not myself.”