Choosing between the fair and homecoming events

Anthony Belinfante

STATESBORO — To go or not to go? Georgia Southern students, specifically fraternity and sorority members, are facing a dilemma as the annual Kiwanis Ogeechee Fair coincides with this year’s homecoming festivities.

The Kiwanis Ogeechee Fair is considered a tradition for Statesboro residents, along with GS students, as it celebrates its 58th year on the Kiwanis Ogeechee Fairgrounds.

Compared to previous years, the fair is taking place later than usual. It began on Oct. 21 and is ending Oct. 26 this year. Because of this year’s late start, GS students are having to choose between attending the annual fair or participating in homecoming events taking place throughout the week.

“I always go to the fair, but unfortunately since it’s on homecoming week I’m not going to be able to attend,” Taylor Brown, senior sports management major, said.

From the Doo Dah dance competition to GSU Idol, greek members have had a busy homecoming week. Throughout the week, fraternity and sorority members will be attending mandatory homecoming events pertaining to their organization as they count down the days until Saturday’s game.

Sorority and fraternity members have also been campaigning for homecoming court at the rotunda, handing out candy and drinks to students while reminding them to vote.

On Thursday, there was a barbeque at the Rotunda that featured food, music and all of the members of the homecoming court celebrating GS.

With events taking place almost daily, students have not had the time to go to the fair.

“I have been [to the fair] every year that I have been here so far,” Samantha Fuller, senior communications major, said. “But I’m running for homecoming court this year so I don’t know if I’m going to be able to make it or not with this schedule.” 

Thursday is not only the last day to vote for homecoming, but also student night at the fair. Student night allows GS students to enter the fair at a reduced price of $2.

“I’m actually going tonight to the fair for Student Night,” Nina Salvadori, sophomore psychology major, said. “We do socials throughout the week, but today we actually don’t have one. A bunch of us are gonna go to the fair together to the student night. And it’s only a $2 admission.”

The 58th annual Kiwanis Ogeechee Fair will be in Statesboro until Saturday, the same day as the GS homecoming game against New Mexico State.

“I kind of wish it was a different week just because it’s so hard to get out and go to the fair, especially with all this going on,” Emily McLeod, senior journalism major, said.

Anthony Belinfante, The George-Anne News Reporter, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu