Center for sustainability, inclusion of international students the main topic of conversation at SGA meeting

Davon Johnson

STATESBORO —The Student Government Association discussed the possible expansion of the Center for Sustainability program and inclusion of international students in campus-wide conversations at their regular Wednesday meeting. 

The center for sustainability overseas sustainability curriculum at Georgia Southern University, including an  Undergraduate Environmental Sustainability Concentration and a Sustainability Practicum course, according to their website. 

CfS also host the annual GreenFest in October  to provide education and sustainable solutions to the public. GreenFest has about 1500 people per year and features more than 40 vendors to the Bulloch County Courthouse lawn.

The program is going through a structural change and looks to expand degree opportunities as it pertains to sustainability, so developments are still being worked out on the focus and specialization around changes that could be made for the program.

Ken Gassiot, Ph.D., and the VP of student engagement said that the university was going to focus on degrees related to sustainability. 

“The University is moving forward into trying to expand freedom and degree programs as it relates to sustainability,” Gassiot said. “Specifically coastal sustainability with bachelors, masters and doctorate programs”.

Inclusion of international students was also a concern at Wednesday’s meeting.

Senator at-large KeyShawn Housey suggested a roundtable discussion to help international students voice their concerns.

“Over the years I’ve got a lot of concerns from the international community over issues they have on campus,” Housey said. “I want to get a roundtable to get their concerns  and show their needs are being met so they can have the best experience possible.”

Housey said that concerns being heard were a priority. 

“I’m just making sure the concerns of the students are being heard and getting solved,” Housey said.

SGA President Jawan Smith also said that international students being heard was a good thing.

“Anytime we can invite our international students in the experience at Georgia Southern, that just adds to the University so it’s exciting,” Smith said.

Davon Johnson, The George-Anne News Reporter, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu