50 Shades of Controversy

This past weekend the release of “50 Shades of Grey” the movie version of a very popular novel series brought both fans and critics.  Facebook pages have been filled with articles debating the content of the movie, some discussing the moral issues with it and others simply calling it “porn.”
One question that is part of the debate is whether the movie is promoting domestic violence.  Some say that the forms of sex that the characters Mr. Grey and Anastasia engage in are considered domestic violence, while others say that since it is consensual it does not fit into the category of abuse.
[quote]“I think it’s ridiculous that people are comparing domestic violence to a book that is about consensual sex. There is nothing consensual about domestic violence,” Hayley McGhee, a senior sports management major said.[/quote]
Does Mr. Grey’s need to be dominant over a “submissive” woman make him an abusive boyfriend, or just a kinky one?
Another topic of concern is that in today’s society this book and movie is being accepted as a normal relationship, which could be harming to real relationships.  Mr. Grey’s strange fetishes become more and more accepted by Anastasia, the female in the relationship who actually has romantic feelings for him. People are concerned that it could be dangerous for real people in real life relationships to become accepting of things such as this.
[quote]Brett Thompson, a freshman economics major said “The manipulation and control tactics used by the main character in the relationship are interpreted as acts of caring or passionate love when in a real life situation that kind of a relationship isn’t romantic or even healthy.”[/quote]
So, with so many strong opinions against “50 Shades of Grey,” why are so many couples of all ages waiting in lines so long, they can’t even fit in the movie theater? Is it so wrong if it’s just for entertainment?
“50 Shades of Grey” drew so much attention not only because of its erotic content, but because of how unfamiliar many people were with the kind of sex depicted. In addition, many people grew uncomfortable with how willing society is to accept that type of relationship as normal.
“We are allowing abuse, stalking, manipulation, ignoring consent, ignoring safe words, and threats to become the new norm between people in a relationship. We are being ‘romanced’ by things that many men and women fight for their life trying to avoid,” said Kandice DuBay, a criminal justice major.
Is it okay to indulge in a film that might promote something you don’t believe is right?  Should entertainment have this much power over people and their own view on relationships?