Your January Concert Guide: Statesboro Edition

The first weeks of the semester can be stressful. Going to a concert (or two) can be a great way to relieve those back-to-school jitters. Here are some of the concerts happening in Statesboro this month, just to give you a taste of the musical diversity that the town has to offer.

The Orange Constant

The Orange Constant
The Orange Constant, aka TOC, is an alternative rock band that infuses 70’s flair into their music. TOC released their debut EP in March 2014 and followed the EP with their first album, Time to Go, released on June 19, 2015. Many of the band’s songs showcase cheerful-sounding guitar riffs, soothing vocals and upbeat drums. Songs such as “Good Intention” demonstrate this, whereas songs like “House of Shutters” demonstrate a less upbeat, mellower sound from the band.
TOC established their roots in Statesboro, later relocating to Athens, Georgia. Despite the move, students can still catch The Orange Constant when they visit town on January 14. They will be playing at South City Tavern, at 10 p.m. South City Tavern is located at 1830 Chandler Road, by Paulson Stadium.

Those Cats

Those Cats
Those Cats is a soul and funk band that blends multiple vocalists and several instruments, including a horn. Those Cats premiered their first album, Something More Specific, in March 2014, and followed that with the release of Eyes Up on April 28, 2015. The band’s songs range from the light-hearted sound of “Pancakes” to the more serious sound of “Stone Cold Hustler”.
Students can catch this funky band on January 15 at Eagle Creek Brewery at 6 p.m., or Gnat’s Landing at 10 p.m. the same night. Eagle Creek Brewery is located at 106 Savannah Avenue, next to Sugar Magnolia Bakery. Gnat’s Landing is on the intersection of Tilman Road and South Main Street.

PIANO.PIANO.

PIANO. is a rock band that has a bluesy, unashamedly loud sound. PIANO.’s first album, Sick Bones, debuted on November 13, 2015. The band’s signature sound shows in songs including “Backdoor Bay”, which features a fast-paced melody combined with a guitar solo and catchy lyrics. The band will be bringing their unique sound to Dingus Magee’s on January 21 at 10 p.m. Dingus Magee’s is at 3 Georgia Avenue, right across the street from Zaxby’s and Centennial Place.

Solomon’s Ghost

Solomon's Ghost
Solomon’s Ghost is a progressive metal band whose music combines intense instrumental parts and varied vocal dynamics. They released their first album, Singularity, on June 13, 2015. Their song “The Nameless” off of the album has a fair amount of clean vocals, while “Solace” displays more of the screaming vocals characteristic of the band’s sound.
Solomon’s Ghost will play at Bigshow’s with Isotopes, Aionios, and Star Period Star on January 30, at 7:30 p.m. There is a cover charge of five dollars for the show. Bigshow’s is at 200 Lanier Drive, across from Paulson Stadium.
ConcertMapGraphicPNG
For a complete list of January concerts in Statesboro, visit Airbound Entertainment and Coastal Rock Savannah.