#NewYearNewYou: Resolutions and the Struggle of Success.

At the strike of midnight not but three weeks ago, last years regrets and failed promises faded away to make room for the start of the New Year and with that the New Year’s resolution.
Staci-Elizabeth Wood, senior multimedia film and production major, is one such individual who set a New Year’s Resolution; a resolution to get active and healthy.
Health, exercise, and simply being more active in general is the most popular of all the resolutions made at 21 percent, according to details.com
However, according to a social psychologist at Forbes.com, Roy Baumeister, “A resolution to lose some weight so not that easy to follow. It is much easier to follow a plan that says no potato chips, fries, or ice cream for six weeks.”
It is also better to be specific in your goals by saying that the plan is to attend a spin class or to lift weights on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Baumeister said.
“I’m aiming to lose around 30 pounds. I want to look amazing at graduation even if I’m going to be in a gown,” Wood said.
[quote]Despite the immense popularity over the concept of starting a resolution at the beginning of a new year, statistics show that roughly only 45 percent of Americans actually make a resolution on a regular basis, according to statisticsbrain.com.[/quote]
A possible reason that some might not be so quick to make a new resolution each year is that it is incredibly hard to remain motivated, especially when going at it alone.
“I never seem to achieve my weight loss goals on my own it’s only when a second person is added where I get results,” Wood said. “To do this I’ve enlisted my best friend to kick my butt in the gym. So she’s my guru for working out.”
There are also apps to utilize in tracking progress, such as calories and steps walked.
“I’m trying to eat healthier options when faced with options. However sometimes it’s not easy. I work at little Caesars and love breadsticks you see my problem,” Wood said.
Of that 45 percent only about eight percent manage to succeed in keeping it, according to statisticsbrain.com.
unnamed
“I’ve tried in the past but it usually fails after the first week,” Wood said. “Either a test or big project comes up where I’m just going to need to grab junk food to eat on while I work all night.”
According to Psychology Today, this lack of ability to adhere to a resolution is known as ‘false hope syndrome’. This means that a resolution is significantly unrealistic and out of alignment with their internal view of themselves. When you make positive affirmations about yourself that you don’t really believe, the positive affirmations not only don’t work, they can be damaging to your self-worth.
There are different ways of making a resolution, there can be an end goal or to simply change one’s lifestyle completely.
“I want to continue this until I lose the 30 pounds,” Wood said. “Once I have done that I’m going to reevaluate my body and my energy level. If I feel I need to lose more weight I will if not I will still continue to eat healthier so I can maintain my new and improved body.”
The road to resolutions are infrequently taken by a smaller amount of people as well at 17 percent of people, according to statisticsbrain.com.
Making a resolution and following through with it provides multiple benefits, and those same benefits can help in choosing what it is to follow through with.
[quote]“I would say that if you follow through with it not only will you be proud of yourself but other people who didn’t believe you could do it will have no argument to stand on,” Wood said.[/quote]
“Do one that makes you feel more alive and benefits your life in the long run. You only live once.”

Graphic by Tayler Critchlow