Georgia Southern to have shuttle commute from Savannah to Statesboro

• Georgia Southern University will have a shuttle to transport passengers to and from Statesboro campus and Armstrong campus in Savannah. 

McClain Baxley

There will be a new shuttle service for students, faculty and staff that runs from the Statesboro campus to the Armstrong campus, Georgia Southern University announced Thursday.

The 24 passenger shuttle will make two round trips on days university offices are open, departing from the Russell Union in Statesboro at 8:15 a.m. and noon. It will depart from Armstrong’s Sports Center parking lot at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.

“There’s been a lot of people asking if there’s going to be a shuttle to go from campus to campus,” said Derrick Davis, Director of Parking and Transportation. “We looked at all sorts of options but settled with First Transit.”

Davis said that the money for the shuttle comes from the parking department, using the fund created by students’ $160 parking permit fees. 

With the shuttle’s route being primarily on I-16 and I-95, two dangerous roads, Davis and other officials hope that having a professional driver would be a better alternative than students and faculty making the trek themselves.

“I’ve talked to several people in SGA. I’ve talked to 20-30 people on both campuses,” Davis said. “Some people thought that no one is going to ride it, others thought it was a great idea.”

This shuttle is different than the Kelly Tours shuttle that GS Athletics uses for home football and basketball games. Davis said that the athletics department was still responsive to the idea.

“I talked to several people in athletics and they were really excited because they had several people that the night before a big game, they were staying (in Statesboro),” Davis said. “Now, with the shuttle, they’ll be able to come up the next morning.”

The free service is set to launch Aug. 12, a week before classes start.

The George-Anne will update this story. 

McClain Baxley, The George-Anne Editor-in-chief, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu