Tips for Adjusting to College

Kayla Winston-Bass

The shift from high school to college is monumental for a lot of students. More often than not, students find themselves in over their head in the vast differences that college has to offer. Finding a comfortable balance doesn’t have to be difficult, and with the right tools, it can come faster than you may think.

Research

Doing your research is a key part in adjusting to college life. While you may sometimes get caught up with things like parties and seeking out a social life, it is important to familiarize yourself with everything the campus has to offer. What sort of classes will you be taking? Who is your professor this semester? What amenities does the university offer? Although these can seem boring, finding out now instead of waiting can increase your chances of success in the future.

Ask Questions

Never be afraid to ask questions–it is the only way you’ll be sure that you understand. During the many lectures, seminars and workshops you’ll find yourself in, always ask questions! Your professor or program directors will always be eager to answer. Familiarizing yourself with the right contacts is important, and you’ll always know who to go to if a situation arises. Asking questions now leads to less confusion later. There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Find a support group

The great thing about going to a university, whether far or near, is the wide range of new faces. Most colleges have a vast diversity of students in all forms. Because of this, it won’t be so difficult to find a place where you fit in. Seeking out that secure spot is important in so many ways. You’ll always know who to go to if needed, you may find lifelong friendships and you’ll virtually never be alone. College can be scary, but it can become instantly better if you have someone or some people to navigate the path with.

Accept Change

Change during college is almost inevitable, but that doesn’t make it a bad thing. Change is good because you are human and are constantly changing every day. Change can also mean growth, and that is something you should always aim to do. Growth can be big or small, but should always be welcomed. Learning to accept change as it comes is a big part in making sure you adjust well in college.

Move Gradually

Lastly, shift gradually. College is different and big, and it is easy to get swallowed up in everything it offers: good or bad. Pacing yourself and allowing those differences to come naturally will help the adjustment period immensely.