University Villas to relocate students due to structural issues found in select apartments

Kyle Clark

University Housing announced Wednesday that 220 students of the approximately 470 living at University Villas will be relocated due to structural issues.

Following a series of inspections that took place over spring break, various structural concerns were discovered in select apartment units within University Villas.

“Out of an abundance of caution for student safety, the University has taken the steps of closing the affected units and is working to relocate students to other spaces in University Housing or at off-campus apartment properties,” John Lester, vice president for Strategic Communications and Marketing, said.

Not every unit in University Villas will be relocated, and only those affected by these apparent issues will be asked to move. Students living in University Villas were sent an email this morning telling them if they are or are not being asked to move.

Students will be moved to one of the several off-campus locations, or be given the option to stay on campus in a new room. Their preferences are being taken into account, but will not be guaranteed.

Affected students will be moved out this weekend, starting Friday. The university will supply crews and trucks to help move out affected students.

There will be mandatory meetings for affected students tonight at Nessmith-Lane room 1915 at 7, 8 and 9 p.m. Students are only required to go to one meeting.

More information on the relocation can be found here.

Kyle Clark, The George-Anne Assistant News Editor, ganewsed@georgiasouthern.edu