Southern Adventures changes

Celeste Chapman, Correspondent

STATESBORO — Due to the pandemic, Southern Adventures has implemented a slew of changes to its outdoor adventure program.

Southern Adventures is the university community’s resource for adventure programming. Southern Adventures provides guided backpacking, sea kayaking, canoeing, and many other outdoor activity trips. They also manage the climbing wall, located in the RAC, rent out outdoor gear, and run the Bike Shop on campus where they repair and rent out bicycles for students.

Changes this Semester

Kristy Elliott, Program Director for Southern Adventures, highlighted the major changes happening this semester for Southern Adventures.

Trips

All trips will now be local day trips instead of overnight and/or weekend trips. “We also are no longer able to provide transportation.” Said Elliott.

Climbing Wall

The climbing wall will allow a limited amount of people who can climb at a time. “We have strict cleaning procedures for after every climber.” Said Elliott. “In addition to this, some of our climbing events have pivoted as well.”

Challenge Courses

“Challenge courses see the most change as we aren’t operating our high challenge course outside this semester.”

The Southern Adventures Challenge Course Program is designed to allow on and off- campus organizations the opportunity to develop functional skills that aid in their leadership development.

“However, on campus groups, classes, students orgs, Greek life, etc are still welcome to sign up for a group team building event with us where we run through activities that fit the goals they are working towards!” Said Elliott.

Clinics

“We actually have added a lot of new clinics this year to supplement our trips program.” The clinics are being limited to a capacity of 6, when it used to be 10.

“We are working on an online sign up to mitigate contact of having to call or come in to sign up.”