Dozens attend first Greek beach sweep

By Zach Logan, News Editor

On Saturday, Sept. 19, approximately 40 representatives from Armstrong’s Greek community took to the Tybee coast in the first Greek Beach Sweep. New Pi Kappa Alpha (PIKE) member, Tyler Syvain, explains that he attended, “to help the community… To make it look beautiful.”

Four of Armstrong’s Greek organizations were in attendance, including PIKE which co hosted the project. PIKE community service chairman, Daniel Crafton, notes that since the beach sweep was a first for the group, the fraternity looked to the United Way of the Coastal Empire in assisting with the event. The United Way assisted with event planning as well as obtaining parking permits for the participants.

The beach sweep lasted two hours and members were able to remove garbage from a large portion of the beach. After the cleanup, participants were encouraged to stay for a beach day. According to Crafton, not only is the project meant to help keep the beach clean, but it is also meant to strengthen the Greek community as a whole. Representatives from each fraternity and sorority were able to interact with one another following the event. He hopes that it will show the newest Greek members that there is a sense of togetherness among the different fraternities and sororities here at Armstrong. With representatives from Gulfstream also in attendance, the event served as a networking opportunity as well.

Some of Armstrong’s Greek members hope that events like these will remove some stereotypes associated with Greek organizations. New PIKE member, Connor Sneathen says, “We give an image of always partying. This shows a different side of Greek life.”

Crafton says the first beach sweep went smoothly and is looking forward to future events. Organizers hope that the Greek beach sweep will become a yearly event and something that new members will continue to pass on.