Nursing Student Altercation

An altercation between two students on the Georgia Southern campus left one arrested and the other injured. 

On Friday April 5th, University police responded to a call about an altercation that took place in the nursing building. The altercation was between a male and female student. 

According to the police report, Mack Edwards and the victim were having a disagreement about a class matter that they were discussing over text message. Both students agreed to step out of the classroom to continue the discussion in the hallway.

Edwards and the victim exchanged a foul set of words resulting in Edwards trying to walk away. While doing so, the victim grabbed his shirt leading him to turn around and punching the victim in her face. 

Edwards was arrested and charged with simple battery.

“We have very high expectations of professionalism and ethics as nursing students. Allowing the student who has acted violently back into our learning environment sends a bad message in my opinion,” said a Georgia Southern nursing student. 

The chair of the nursing program, Melissa Garno, was unable to comment on the issue. 

Another nursing student believes that “he should be allowed to finish his classes as the semester is almost over, but not in the classroom.”

The information on if Edwards is allowed in the classroom has not yet been revealed.