AST, Kappa Sigma prepare for month of awareness

By Emilie Groover, Staff Writer

The title “On Wednesdays We Wear Pink” may have been inspired by the movie Mean Girls, but the Alpha Sigma Tau (AST) sisters are quite the opposite. Throughout the month of October, they will host a “On Wednesdays We Wear Pink” series to raise money and awareness for breast cancer. Each Wednesday, the members of Alpha Sigma Tau will be in the Student Union from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. hosting different fundraisers.

Kayley Greene, AST’s vice president of community relations, made it clear that they are passionate about helping people in the community and raising awareness for breast cancer.

“Breast cancer affected a few sisters of ours so we chose to raise money for that because it hit so close to home,” Green said.  Last year AST paid for doctor’s appointments for a woman who could not afford them.  They donated half of the money to her and half to the Susan G. Komen foundation.

AST wants to raise awareness for breast cancer, but more importantly they want to help find a cure. Member, Claire Davis, says, “We want to raise as much money as possible, but if we could hit $1,000 or more, I’d be a very happy director [of philanthropy].  Just wearing pink won’t find a cure, but it does help make a statement and raise money.”

Throughout October, students can expect different events such as a bake sale and a stuff-the-bra event.  AST will also have informational posters on display that will state facts and numbers regarding breast cancer.

The sorority is not alone in their desire to fundraise for breast cancer. Kappa Sigma will be hosting their annual event “Shave to Save” event Wednesday, October 28.

Kappa Sigma brother, Austin Goolsby, explains, “We put prices on our heads.  We say, ‘If you want so and so to shave his head, you have to pay thirty or forty dollars’.”

Kappa Sigma hosts this event annually, and they hope to get the community more involved this year.  AST will hand out pink lemonade as a token of their appreciation on the last Wednesday of October, encouraging students to participate in Kappa Sigma’s event.

The Armstrong community is invited to attend each of the events in observance of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.