Pirate volleyball split games on the road

By Karlee Collins, Staff Writer 

The Armstrong Pirate volleyball team brought a Peach Belt Conference victory last week, while also dropping one. The win came Wednesday, Oct. 21 when they defeated UNC Pembroke, 3-0.

The Pirates won each set in Pembroke, NC, by scores of 25-14, 25-15, and 25-17. The team knew they needed to get back on the winning track after previously dropping two straight games.

Junior Anna McGee said, “We came out really strong at Pembroke. It was good for the whole team to get a win on the road.”

Freshman Kristi Vaughn contributed a game-high 24 assists while fellow freshman Raquel Kulak recorded five blocks. Sophomore Iva Scepanovic added 16 digs and junior Brittany Hereth spiked 6 service aces. In the second and third sets, the team brought out big leads of 15-6 and 14-6.

“We had good communication and gelled well on the court, just focusing on one point at a time, and [we] bounced right back when we did lose a point,” junior Emily Wylie said.

However, when the Pirates faced off against Francis Marion Saturday, Oct. 24 in another road game, they returned with a loss.

“[In this game], I feel like we learned a lot about ourselves as a team and what we can work on in practice and outside of practice together,” Wylie said.

In spite of the loss, the Pirates still had some stand out players that shined throughout the sets. McGee, Wylie, and fellow junior Rachel Thompson, along with Kulak led the team with a game-high seven kills each. Kulak also contributed two blocks while another freshman, Raegan Grooms, led with eight digs.

“We struggled against Francis Marion. We’re still trying to find our rhythm, but we’re keeping our heads up and looking forward [to the next game],” McGee said.

The Pirates now have a 12-7 record with an 8-3 mark in the PBC. After losing three of their last four matches, the team is now in a three-way tie for second place in the PBC.

The team played on the road against Lander Wednesday, Oct. 28 and will next host Augusta University and Georgia College Friday, Oct. 30 and Saturday, Oct. 31.