Commencement celebration confirmed by Armstrong Dean of Students

• At the SGA senate meeting on Feb. 27, Dean Andrew Dies announced that a celebration event for students graduating this semester has been green lit

Nathan Weaver

Armstrong Dean of Students Andrew Dies confirmed that celebration events separate from Georgia Southern University’s official commencement ceremonies for graduating students have been approved.

Dies made the announcement at Wednesday’s Statesboro Student Government Association meeting on Feb. 27.

“We have got a green light to move forward with the celebrations,” Dies said. “There’ll be one on the Armstrong campus which will be April 30 that Tuesday starting at 6 [p.m.], and then here on the Statesboro campus that Wednesday starting at 6 [p.m].”

Dies also said that details concerning transportation to the events have not been finalized, but are close to being approved.

“We’re looking at getting food and potentially live music, maybe recorded music,” Dies said.

The idea for a celebration event being held in addition to GS’s official commencement was initially discussed at the second Statesboro SGA meeting of the semester, where Dies and the Statesboro SGA discussed ideas for the event such as distributing mason jars as party favors, inviting an entertainer, and serving food and not desserts.

Nathan Weaver, The George-Anne News Reporter, ganewsed@georgiasouthern.edu