Resolution against commencement changes to be voted on in Statesboro next week

• The resolution, which calls upon administration to create a new plan for commencement, was brought to Statesboro by Armstrong speaker Tyler Tyack at the first senate meeting of the semester.

Nathan Weaver

The resolution proposed by the Armstrong Student Government Association asking Georgia Southern University to revert the recent changes to this year’s spring commencement ceremonies is expected to be voted on by the Statesboro campus’ SGA Feb. 20.

The resolution, which calls upon administration to create a new plan for commencement, was brought to Statesboro by Armstrong speaker Tyler Tyack at the first senate meeting of the semester. During this week’s meeting, senator-at-large Keyshawn Housey brought it back up.

“I remember Speaker Tyler of the Armstrong campus,” Housey said. “He brought his resolution to our floor a few weeks ago. What happened? What’s going on?”

A brief discussion between SGA officials revealed that the resolution still needs to be processed by a resolution review committee before it can be voted on by the senate.

Later, Armstrong’s Dean of Students Andrew Dies went over the process the resolution still needs to go through before it can be passed.

“It has to go through the resolution review committee, which is a smaller subset,” Dies said. “Then they pass it forward for review by the senate. It should get passed. I would expect it would come up next senate meeting.”

Tyack shared his thoughts on the legislation’s progress.

“I expect it to be passed,” Tyack said. “I’m pretty sure that each and every senator here knows that the students are in favor of things going back to the way the they were. In terms of the resolution going forward, I talked to chief of staff Thomas Fields and he said that it should be going to the committee on Friday to be voted on by next Wednesday.”

The George-Anne asked Tyack if students can expect to see any concrete changes to commencement if his resolution passes next Wednesday.

“The administation has been clear and concise. Their refusal to change, I hope that’s known, that the administration is absolutely refusing to revert anything that the students are wanting,” Tyack said. “If they need a poll from the students, I’d be glad to stand out in front of both student unions for a week at a time, with a list of names signed to revert back commencement.”

For more information on the resolution passed on the Armstrong campus, click here.

Nathan Weaver, The George-Anne News Reporter, ganewsed@georgiasouthern.edu