Campus Corkboard- 10/16 – 10/23

Wednesday Oct. 16

Fall Senior Exhibition 2019 (Exhibition 1)

8 a.m.

Fine Arts 129

Graduating seniors showcase their college portfolios for this capstone.

Serve912 Armstrong Union Mission Trip

12:15 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.

Student Union

Union Mission exists to prevent and end homelessness in the greater Savannah Area

Thursday Oct. 17

Visiting Writer Series: Craft Talk with Beth Ann Fennelly, Armstrong Campus

11 a.m. -12 p.m.

Gamble Hall

Sponsored by the College of Arts and Humanities, Visiting Writer Beth Ann Fennelly, Poet Laureate of Mississippi and Professor of English at the University of Mississippi’s Graduate Program in Creative Writing, will conduct a craft talk for students at 11 a.m. in Gamble Hall on the Armstrong Campus. This event is free and open to students from all Georgia Southern University Campuses.

Serve912 Armstrong Senior Citizens Inc. Trip

2 p.m. – 4 p.m.

Student Union

Senior Citizens Inc. provides a variety of services that meet both critical and social needs of senior citizens in the Savannah Area.

Campus Police/Student Group Listening Sessions

3 p.m.

Compass Point Clubhouse

This pilot series is designed to create a better understanding of the role and authority of campus police and to create a space for campus police to hear and learn from diverse student groups. The desired outcome is to build trust, foster lines of authority between students and campus law enforcement, and to improve cross cultural relations between students and campus police. Additionally, campus police will be exposed to myriad student cultural student groups.

This series will be about/for Hispanic students.

Friday Oct. 18

Strozier Faculty Lecture: Quantifying Gerrymandering

12:15 p.m. – 1:15 p.m.

Ogeechee Theater

Please join us October 18th at 12:15 p.m. for the 2019-2020 Robert I. Strozier Faculty Lecture: “Quantifying Gerrymandering” by Dr. James Brawner from the Mathematical Sciences department.

For over 200 years, state legislatures in this country have drawn oddly shaped voting districts, often with the intention of increasing the voting power of the party controlling the legislature. For just as long, critics have cried foul, denouncing such attempts as “gerrymandering.”  More recently, technology has enabled legislatures to “gerrymander on steroids” and draw district maps that greatly favor one party over the other, even when there is a fairly even split among voters in the state.  Dr. Brawner discusses recent mathematical attempts to quantify gerrymandering, featured in recent arguments before the U.S. Supreme Court, and implications for the future.

Strozier Faculty Lectures are held in the Ogeechee Theater on the Armstrong Campus. The Robert I. Strozier series honors Professor Emeritus of English Robert Strozier who served the Armstrong community for more than four decades.

Monday Oct. 21

Serve912 Armstrong Coastal Pet Rescue Trip

1 p.m. – 3 p.m.

Student Union

Coastal Pet Rescue is an animal rescue organization dedicated to saving the lives of homeless, abused and neglected dogs and cats in Savannah and surrounding areas.

Tuesday Oct. 22

Free Expression – Armstrong Campus

1 p.m. – 3 p.m.

Burnett Hall, HR Training Room 160

Legal Affairs Boot Camp: Session 5 of 7.

Training will cover issues and analysis under Academic Freedom, Freedom of Expression, and Freedom of Religion.

Serve912 Armstrong Ronald McDonald House Trip

2 p.m. – 4 p.m.

Student Union

Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Coastal Empire creates, finds, and supports programs that directly enhance the health and well-being of children and families.

Wednesday Oct. 23

Workshop Series – Resume Writing

10 a.m. – 11 a.m.

Hawes Hall 213

Get the 411 on resume styles, sections and formatting tips.