Spring graduation questions answered so far

• Georgia Southern University announced a series of changes to its spring commencement ceremony. The university’s spring 2019 commencement FAQ page answers some of the major questions in this change. 

Tandra Smith

Georgia Southern University announced changes to its 2019 spring graduations on Wednesday, in an effort to manage the size and recognition for the graduates.

GS will now have two main ceremonies, a college specific ceremony, as well as a university-wide ceremony.

The college specific ceremonies will take place at various times and locations on both May 10 and 11. A university-wide commencement ceremony will take place on the Statesboro campus on May 11 in Paulson Stadium.

The following questions are answered with information from GS’ Spring 2019 Commencement FAQ page.

The main questions, answered

Q: How do I receive my diploma cover?

A: In order to receive your diploma cover, you have to attend the college-specific ceremony, according to the commencement website. The actual diploma will be mailed out six to eight weeks once all degree requirements are completed.

Q: What will the ceremonies be like?

A: According to the commencement website, the college specific ceremonies will be in a much smaller setting than previous commencements.

“New college-specific ceremonies will provide a more intimate setting where each graduate will be recognized individually,” according to the website. “The location of the college-specific ceremonies will align with the College’s primary campus location.”

The university-wide ceremony, however, will take place in Paulson Stadium, like previous spring and fall commencements. This ceremony will include all graduates from all of the colleges, as well as a guest commencement speaker.

“[The university-wide ceremony] will have the full pomp and circumstance of a traditional ceremony,” according to the website.

Q: Do I need tickets for either graduation?

A: If you are a graduating student, your cap and gown will be your ticket for both ceremonies. Both the university wide and college specific graduations will not require tickets.

Q: I’m a graduate student. How does this affect me?

A: Details are still being finalized, according to the website, but ceremonies will differ slightly.

“Graduate students will participate in the University-wide ceremony as well as the college-specific ceremony for their major,” according to the commencement website.

Q: Where are the college-specific ceremonies being held at? What time and when are they?

A: Individual ceremonies for the College of Education, the Waters College of Health Professions and the Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health are scheduled to take place at the Savannah Convention Center in Savannah. These ceremonies will take place on Friday, May 10 and begin at 9:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. respectively.

The ceremonies for the College of Arts and Humanities, the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences, the Parker College of Business, the Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Computing and the College of Science and Mathematics will be held at Hanner Fieldhouse in Statesboro.

The College of Behavioral and Social Sciences, the Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Computing and the College of Mathematics will take place on May 10 at 9:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. respectively. 

The Parker College of Business, the College of Arts and Humanities and the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences will take place on Friday, May 10 as well, at 9:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. respectively.

The College of Arts and Humanities and the Parker College of Business will take place on  May 11, at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m., respectively.

A University wide stand and confer ceremony will e held on May 11 at 9 a.m. in Paulson Stadium. 

Q: Who made this decision?

A: According to the commencement website, a committee was created regarding this change. How other colleges and universities across the country held their commencement ceremonies was also studied as well.

“A committee solicited input from students, faculty and the deans before making a recommendation to the President’s Cabinet,” according to the website.

Q: I have more questions. Who can I contact?

A: At the moment, there is no particular contact or contacts. A list of contacts will be made available on the commencement website once completed.

Tandra Smith, Engagement, Analytics and Copy Editing Managing Editor, ts05968@georgiasouthern.edu