Student Government Association resolution set to alter first and second-year experience curriculum

• Keyshawn Housey said the resolution, which was passed following the “triggerish” incident and its aftermath last fall, is currently being discussed and used to “develop learning outcomes” for the first-year experience and second-year experience departments.

Nathan Weaver

The diversity and inclusion resolution, drafted by Student Government Association senator-at-large Keyshawn Housey last November, is expected to be implemented fall 2019.

Housey said the resolution, which was passed following the “triggerish” incident and its aftermath last fall, is currently being discussed and used to “develop learning outcomes” for the first-year experience and second-year experience departments.

“If one goes back to my resolution it was my intention that the course would be offered starting fall 2018,” Housey said.

Housey said the SGA plans to work with the FYE and SYE departments in connection with the resolution and to provide instructors with training on diversity and inclusion.

Part of the resolution is the creation of an annual report on GS race relations, a move which comes after the recent hiring of a consultant brought in to assess the issue.

“As stated in my resolution it charges the SGA, the President’s Diversity Advisory Council and the President’s Cabinet to create an annual report on the state of race relations at this university,” Housey said.

Housey said the resolution received a mixed reaction from the GS community.

“One of criticisms I heard at the time was why the institution spent millions on a consultant that would assess the problems with Georgia Southern only to come to the same conclusions that students have made out in the open and staff in secret for years,” Housey said.

Housey also encouraged students to participate in the Inclusive Excellence Experience survey, which at this time is still available on my.georgiasouthern.edu. This is intended to give students an opportunity to provide feedback and create a “record of strengths and weaknesses regarding race relations, diversity and inclusion for the university.”

In addition to the survey, student feedback is also expected to be the basis of the SGA’s annual report.

Housey said the “triggerish” incident led to his work on the resolution.

“Less than a day after the incident occurred I had started write out my thoughts and as time progressed and I was able to gauge the reactions of the students and administration. I was able to flesh out my ideas, put them into words and eventually bring to the senate floor the resolution that is now in effect today,” Housey said. “We as students really have the power to change the way things are run here at this institution when we go through the proper channels and maintain the passion for change.”

For more information on the resolution, click here.

Nathan Weaver, The George-Anne News Reporter, ganewsed@georgiasouthern.edu