Georgia Southern makes mental health fundamental

Davis Cobb, Correspondent

In preparation for the new semester and alongside other projects to help students through the COVID-19 pandemic, Georgia Southern will be offering students a new wave of mental health services and resources. 

Part of a larger statewide plan initiated by the University System of Georgia, GS’ counseling center will be continuing many of their regular services, including offering telemental health by which students may contact counselors online, walk-in appointments, drop-in workshops, and a 24-hour crisis line.

In addition, GS is partnering with the Jed Foundation, a nonprofit organization that focuses on providing assistance with mental health and suicide prevention, traditionally in the young adult age range. 

This partnership will take the form of a comprehensive two-pronged approach plan that will offer immediate projects and action on campus while also working on long term goals in the meantime.

The university also plans to distribute the Helping Eagles Recognize Stress and Offer Support Folder, a compilation of all information and resources students, faculty, and staff need to identify individuals in distress and help them locate the proper channels of assistance, to all employees and students leaders. 

Not only will these H.E.R.O. Folders be distributed across all campuses, but plans are also underway to implement them into the myGeorgiaSouthern portal as well.

“Supporting the mental health of students is really everyone’s responsibility. I think one of the lines we say in our material is ‘It’s our house, it’s our people, it’s our purpose, and it takes our action,’” said Vice President of Student Affairs Shay Little. “If you see someone that may be in distress or you’re concerned about, step in and speak out.”

The H.E.R.O. Folder is available for viewing on Little’s website under Mental Health Initiatives. Information on any of the services provided by the counseling center can also be found on their website.