How to Make Time for Yourself in College

Jenna Wiley, Editor-in-Chief

Being a college student is one of the busiest and stressful times in someone’s life. The world seems to be moving at hyper-speed and sometimes it feels as though I can only barely keep up. Having to juggle a full class schedule, work, and extracurriculars is hard! But finding time for yourself is so important to your mental health so here are some tips to help you find some:

1. Time Management

Managing your time crucially is super important. The more time you dedicate to getting the necessary things done, the more time you have to yourself! Try a time management app and be realistic. Don’t give yourself an unreasonable deadline.

2. Use your free time wisely

Having time by “yourself” doesn’t necessarily mean you have to be alone for it. You could spend time with friends, curled up with a good book, or even taking a nap. Just don’t waste it when you’ve got it.

3. Embrace your commute

Most of the time, people have their faces buried in their phones while on the bus or have music blasting while walking around campus. These opportunities can be used to have some quiet time alone with your thoughts in a noisy world.

4.  Wake up early

The prospect of waking up 30 minutes earlier everyday is not what a college student wants to hear but it is a great idea. Having 30 extra minutes in the morning, whether it be lying in bed scrolling on TikTok of going for a morning jog, helps you get a jump start on your day and extra “me-time”.

5. Know when to say no

Sometimes all I want to do is be with my friends but there are some instances when saying yes will do more harm than good. If you are feeling burnt out or overwhelmed don’t talk yourself into something you don’t want to do. You’ll be better off in the long run for prioritizing yourself.